• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct 833 Hurst Shifter Rods

tommygun782

Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
Hello, trying to figure out if this setup is correct on my hurst shifter. I was adjusting my shifter with the through hole method, but it seems my reverse linkage doesn’t have a hole. From my research this means it’s an old hurst shifter? Also, I see that my rods don’t match up anything that I’m googling, and brewers seem to have all straight rods for the most part. Could anyone give me some insight on what I have now? Thank you for the help!

IMG_1798.jpeg

Might help to know what year and model car you are working with.

Looks like you have a 1970 and newer reverse linkage rod. The unused stud is used for the lockout on 1970 floor shift columns.

Thank you so much for the help, the setup worked but just really poorly no matter how much I adjusted them. I can finally rest now that it’s the rods and not me lol.

Hello, trying to figure out if this setup is correct on my hurst shifter. I was adjusting my shifter with the through hole method, but it seems my reverse linkage doesn’t have a hole. From my research this means it’s an old hurst shifter? Also, I see that my rods don’t match up anything that I’m googling, and brewers seem to have all straight rods for the most part. Could anyone give me some insight on what I have now? Thank you for the help!

View attachment 1613712
UPDATED - your 1-2 & 3-4 shift rods are correct. 2. Put shifter in neutral 3. Look at the shift plates up inside the main body of the shifter. They are kinda round/curved and they have a notch in each one. Line those notches up. The factory service manual says to make your own sheet metal shim to put in those notches to keep them aligned (fyi) if you like. 4. Rotate shifter rod ends until each shifter rod/shift plate hole/transmission shift stud all just line up. Tighten nut. Repeat for each shift rod, making sure those notches all stay lined up and shifter in neutral

FYI- my reverse lever is curved, not straight (fyi)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back