• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Plymouth tail lights assembly

Nacho-RT74

Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

what differences are on tail lights assemblies for 68 Plymouths.

A friend of mine will begin to restore SOMEDAY a 68 440 4 speeds GTX, and need to know some differences he can find on tails, like if this car uses a diff tail light assembly than the rest... also talking about quarter extensions and all that area!

He will be needing mainly extensions, so wants to know if needs to be SPECIFIC from some GTX or could be from some other model. Search on ebay anything GTX related could mean pay double than, maybe a Belvedere LOL

ok, so still wishing to know the differences on tail lights pieces for 68 Plymouth B ( light assembly and quarter extension )

The tail lights on a 68 GTX is the same as for other plymouths of the same year. They're the horseshoe style lights - unique to that year. The finish panel for the trunk lid is unique to the GTX. The other 68 plymouths have finish panels as well - but they're different than the GTX. 68s are unique in their rear end look.

ok, sooooo, quarter extension is the same ? somebody told me once that this piece was somehow diff to accomodate some of the lense trim for GTXs, or something like that

now about tail light assembly itself?

( we are aware of the deck lid panel... we have 2 of them :) )

What do you mean by the assembly. Not sure I get what you mean.

well somebody told me the GTX got a diff lense to acomodate the bezel over the lense. Can't recall if the same source told me another difference, related to housing &/or quarter extension

The tail lights on a 68 GTX is the same as for other plymouths of the same year. They're the horseshoe style lights - unique to that year. The finish panel for the trunk lid is unique to the GTX. The other 68 plymouths have finish panels as well - but they're different than the GTX. 68s are unique in their rear end look.
Not quite. The GTX shares taillight finishes with the Sport Satellites - but not the RoadRunners, Belvederes, etc.
1968 GTX/Sport Satellite taillights:
68_GTX_Rear.jpg
gtxtail.jpg
Notice the argent silver band around the reverse lights, for example.

1968 Road Runner tails:
1024px-1968_Road_Runner_green_rear.jpg
Notice the black around the reverse lights and the totally different trunk finish panel.

The sheetmetal for all the b-body Plymouths in the rear are the same, but the tail lights and finish panels are quite different.

ok, so:

All 68 Plymouth B body use the same quarter extension

All 68 Plymouth B body use the same tail light housing

All 68 Plymouth B body use the same tail light lense

All 68 Plymouth B body use the same lense bezel BUT the finish makes the difference

Just wait until you find out what one of the '68 trunk finish panels goes for.... $$$.
The two pics of the GTX tails I posted are actually of my car. I had my finish panel and taillights professionally redone,
because reproduction ones will easily run over $1000.

we have 2 trunk finish panels :headbang:. Second one was bought just for the emblem... and guess what ? just paid $40 LOL. of course with small pits, but easy to restore.

anyway the main question was not for that, just for the tail light related parts

Auto Transport Service
Back