• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 RM23 Roadrunner, The rebuild of an old friend

Runner 68

Tarnished Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
In case you missed my intro, I have a numbers matching 68' Hardtop Roadrunner, 383 / 4 speed car. I purchased it in 1978, my first car, 3rd owner. Decided to start the restoration 6 years ago, tore it down, media blasted the entire car, put it in the body shop then my wife decided to move. We moved but I had no place to work and have spent the last 4 years building my 1,600 sf shop. The shop is done and my bird is ready to go back together. I anticipate seeking much advice from the gurus on this form.

The photos below are post media blast / pre body shop. The last one on the trailer is post body shop.

The general goal is Hemi 472 crate, Brewers A833 5 speed, Strange 60 Diff. I'll keep the original drive train fresh and on stands. Spring re-locates to maximize rear tire width, possibly Hotchkis lowering kit in the rear and front end kit, front disc conversion, stock interior. Color WW1 with white and Hawaiian blue interior. The car originally came with the decor package and will be put back. I'll try to keep this updated as I come along.

Picture 002.jpg Picture 033.jpg Picture 032.jpg Picture 030.jpg Picture 029.jpg Picture 028.jpg Picture 027.jpg Picture 020.jpg Picture 018.jpg Picture 014.jpg Picture 035.jpg Picture 034.jpg Picture 013.jpg Picture 010.jpg Picture 009.jpg Picture 006.jpg

hi thanks for posting ,you have alot of work ahead but she sure is looking good ,keep us updated ,:blob1:

Another cool bird geting ready for flight! Welcome aboard, glad to have ya. That'll be an awesome car when done.

Nice to see the job starting off right! Thanks for sharing, keep us updated.

-=Photon440=-

Kewl! Looks like a set of old Fenton RT wheels on it....?

Looks great!! You'll have one nice bird when you finish this up... Looks like the same wheels my 73 has.. Look good on yours..

Nice car. Getting it blasted makes all the other work it needs a little easier to do.

Looks great!! You'll have one nice bird when you finish this up... Looks like the same wheels my 73 has.. Look good on yours..

They sure did back in '79 when I put them on. They're a little tired these days.
Thinking Torque Thrusts this time around.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice car. Getting it blasted makes all the other work it needs a little easier to do.

Yes, my body man thanked me.

great to se another road runner coming back!

That's going to be a happy day when you get to drive it again.

They sure did back in '79 when I put them on. They're a little tired these days.
Thinking Torque Thrusts this time around.

I am looking for a set of SSTs in any condition. What were you planning on doing with them?

BTW Cool Runner. I grew up with a Sunfire Yellow 383 4 speed 68 Runner myself. My parents bought it in 1980.

That's going to be a happy day when you get to drive it again.

indeed brother, indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

I am looking for a set of SSTs in any condition. What were you planning on doing with them?

BTW Cool Runner. I grew up with a Sunfire Yellow 383 4 speed 68 Runner myself. My parents bought it in 1980.

To be honest I haven't thought that far out yet. I was just going to use them for rolling needs until replaced. 14 x 10 on the rear,14 x 6 (I think) in the front. The chrome is peeling, pitting some, they're really not in any kind of shape. If you're interested PM me.

Nice looking project. Keep the pictures coming during restoration.

Sweet Runner 68. Hope you are able to get back on it soon it will be pretty damn cool with powertrain you're planning. My 68 was a WW1 but it was restoleum while I owned it, and a decor pg post. You don't see to many nice hardtops like yours.

umrSpZ4.jpg

Thanks Tallhair for digging this out, never saw it before "now I know what Runner is up to". So, what's the story? I see all the post dates are from Feb until now, is it in the shop for body work and paint? Anyways, looks like a really solid starting point for a cool car "Hemi" I envy you. Good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back