• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Roadrunner colour

CaptPaul

Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new user here.
I have a question regarding colour production. I have a 68 Roadrunner Coupe where the original colour was X1 Satin Beige.
I understand colour records were not kept until 70. Based on what I can ascertain this is quite a rare colour for a Roadrunner, but just how rare is what I'm trying to find out.
I have only ever seen one other 68 Roadrunner in this colour, so I can't imagine many were built/ordered.
ANY information I can get would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

As stated in other posts, it is not possible to know the color distribution on a '68. Factor records do not exist.

Any responses you get will be anecdotal (We'lll.....I've seen....) and therefore non scientific research or not factory info. They will be just somebody's guess and that's not what you are looking for. Accurate, credible info simply doesn't exist.

There is a chart with % of production that I've seen - I think it was posted on moparts.com a couple years ago by one of the #s guys - but the pale tan colors were very low percentage.
As for anecdotes, yeah, that's all I have: I can only recall seeing 2 light tan-colored RRs since they were new. One was for sale a couple years ago.

Hi everyone, new user here.
I have a question regarding colour production. I have a 68 Roadrunner Coupe where the original colour was X1 Satin Beige.
I understand colour records were not kept until 70. Based on what I can ascertain this is quite a rare colour for a Roadrunner, but just how rare is what I'm trying to find out.
I have only ever seen one other 68 Roadrunner in this colour, so I can't imagine many were built/ordered.
ANY information I can get would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Are you from a Commonwealth country ? Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK ?

As stated in other posts, it is not possible to know the color distribution on a '68. Factor records do not exist.

Any responses you get will be anecdotal (We'lll.....I've seen....) and therefore non scientific research or not factory info. They will be just somebody's guess and that's not what you are looking for. Accurate, credible info simply doesn't exist.
Thanks!
In researching this, I had a feeling this might be the answer, but hey, worth asking.
Even if I can get a consensus of "X1 was rare on a 68 Roadrunner", that may sway me enough to put the car back to its original colour.

This RR was all beige when originally purchased used in the late 70’s. A plain Jane, 383 automatic, Rubber floor mats and push out rear side windows. I’d call it a “Wednesday” built car because that B engine was a super screaming high rpm motor in stock form. I remember the rear axle being the 373 gear. It had a hard life between my brother and me. He got T-boned at a 4way stop by a motorcycle. The driver and passenger flew over the top of the Roadrunner and survived. The motorcycle hit square-ly on the driver’s door and the rest of the bike slid sideways into the quarter panel. Another quarter panel was swapped from a ‘68 Satellite and pop riveted to the RR. The whole car was painted flat black and it lived its life out in that color or colour. Unfortunately it was scrapped around ‘80 but the 383 is still with me sitting in my garage waiting its turn. I liked the beige color. It was non assuming.

IMG_4932.png

IMG_4933.png

An update to my quest for an answer.
I spoke with a gentleman who worked for Chrysler in the 60s and he stated that X1 Satin Beige was a rare colour to begin with on all Chrysler Corp vehicles, even more so for the performance cars of the late 60s. He estimates that, at least for the performance cars, less than one percent were painted in this colour. If this can be believed (remember, this is anecdotal information), that would indicate less than 300 68 Roadrunner coupes were built in X1. Obviously, I/we will never know the true answer as to how many were actually built, but this does give me an idea of its rarity. If anyone has any additional information they'd like to add, I'm all eyes.......

An update to my quest for an answer.
I spoke with a gentleman who worked for Chrysler in the 60s and he stated that X1 Satin Beige was a rare colour to begin with on all Chrysler Corp vehicles, even more so for the performance cars of the late 60s. He estimates that, at least for the performance cars, less than one percent were painted in this colour. If this can be believed (remember, this is anecdotal information), that would indicate less than 300 68 Roadrunner coupes were built in X1. Obviously, I/we will never know the true answer as to how many were actually built, but this does give me an idea of its rarity. If anyone has any additional information they'd like to add, I'm all eyes.......

"Any responses you get will be anecdotal (We'lll.....I've seen....) and therefore non scientific research or not factory info. They will be just somebody's guess and that's not what you are looking for. Accurate, credible info simply doesn't exist."

If your decision to repaint it beige is to be based on rarity, I’d think you should paint it beige. The majority of these performance model cars were some form of red, yellow, blue, or green. Not many black, silver, white, or beige. I would call the latter colors unusual on a performance car. I happen to like the beige cars myself, so I would keep it if it were mine.
Travis..

Auto Transport Service
Back