• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 - Signs of Trunk Pan Patches?

hemischmitt

Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
Does this look like a sheet metal patch near the taillight area and a little bondo to fill a hole? Quarter panel asphalt undercoat layer looks right, whether original or not. Thx.

Charger Trunk.jpg

Okay, I have only had one cup of coffee this morning so I am a little off, but I don't exactly get the area you are talking about? Maybe a close up pic. :rolleyes:

I see what looks like a 2” square patch by the small plastic plug If that’s what you mean. From the pitting showing up in the paint I would suspect that was a rust out. Not a big deal - looks like he patched it with steel so at least he attended to it and didn’t bondo it over. He could have ground the welds flush and finished it smooth but that could be done now and touched up if so inclined.

I don’t have any more pics. It’s a car I’m thinking of flying to look at. It is that patch area next to the rubber plug and those rows of rivets or spot welds to the right that don’t seem right.

looks like an original trunk pan that was patched but not replaced........ but that is a strange place for a rust hole..... the spotwelds look right, but it's a picture

Agree with the eldubb440 post. Spot welds do look correct. The apparent patch near the plug, looks like it was just laid over a hole and tacked in place, and then some type of sealant swabbed around it.

if that was an actual rust hole, (again, weird spot) they most likely painted over some major pitting on the rest of the pan

Does this look like a sheet metal patch near the taillight area and a little bondo to fill a hole? Quarter panel asphalt undercoat layer looks right, whether original or not. Thx.

View attachment 1592808

Looks like a fairly solid trunk pan & the funky bracket next to the tail light tells me that it's an early built car (prior to 12/1/67). It should have the skeletal understructure on the trunk lid and may be missing shoulder belts.

Check out this thread of mine from a few years ago ....

Auto Transport Service
Back