• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 TAG decode

Mally69

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
Posting a pic of this 68 Coronet RT fender tag. I need help decoding it. I'm having a hell of a time with it. It is a 440 4spd car. I guess just need a little help decoding it.

Screenshot_20231031_185530_Facebook.jpg

CAR: Dodge Coronet R/T 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift
TIRES: F70x14 Red Sidewall, Steel Belted
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: January 12.
AXLE: 3.54/3.55 Rear Axle Ratio (Dana60 or 8 3/4), Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Sport Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Bright Blue Metallic (Dodge), Electric Blue Metallic (Plymouth).
OTHER: Black (Dodge, Plymouth), Formal Black (Chrysler, Imperial) Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
19: Wide Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
T7: Tachometer
X1: Tinted Glass (All)
Y6: Black Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

Last edited:
And the 7 under T that reads as Tachometer usually indicates Rally Dash

Oh wow, that's awesome thank you. I'll assume it's fairly rare. I should prob buy it. Needs restored 2800$. All frame rails, leaf spring boxes, tail panel , rear crossmember are all solid. Only body panels it needs are, rear window corners, quarters, rockers, trunk pans, and a floor pan only at the drivers foot area. Fenders are good and solid. Rest of floor panels are solid.

look at the hood........ almost impossible to find one anymore...... trunk lid too, they rot at the back

Strangely I see more hoods than decklids....

All those little parts add up... If they are still with the car that's great, if they are missing a proper resto gets very expensive....

Even if they are with the car often the parts need a lot of work to be usable...

Is the engine there? Trans? Shifter? Driveshaft? Dana?

$2800 is a bargain, just know that's just the beginning... DAMHIK

The car probably does not have a rear speaker since it did not come with a radio! But yes the white book says rear speaker.

X1 tinted glass-all
Y6 black vinyl top

Last edited:
All those little parts add up... If they are still with the car that's great, if they are missing a proper resto gets very expensive....

Even if they are with the car often the parts need a lot of work to be usable...

Is the engine there? Trans? Shifter? Driveshaft? Dana?

$2800 is a bargain, just know that's just the beginning... DAMHIK
He just said the origional Dana was swapped it has an 8.75 now. No engine and tranny . But like I said it is a solid car

Screenshot_20231031_225353_Gallery.jpg

Just so your eyes are open... These would be a normal "range"

Engine $3500-$6500, could spend a lot more... The days of a $500 runner are history..
18 Spline A833 plus bell housing, shifter/clutch Etc... $3k-$6K..
Dana $2000-$3500
Body & paint needs quarters, needs rockers, trunk pan... Minimum $25K and could easily by $40K with lots of stories of getting trapped in body shop hell for years..
Interior Minimum $5K and could easily be double that....
We haven't touched all the little stuff...

Not trying to tell you to run but just want you to know unless your able to do most of the work this hobby ain't as much fun as it use to be....

Just so your eyes are open... These would be a normal "range"

Engine $3500-$6500, could spend a lot more... The days of a $500 runner are history..
18 Spline A833 plus bell housing, shifter/clutch Etc... $3k-$6K..
Dana $2000-$3500
Body & paint needs quarters, needs rockers, trunk pan... Minimum $25K and could easily by $40K with lots of stories of getting trapped in body shop hell for years..
Interior Minimum $5K and could easily be double that....
We haven't touched all the little stuff...

Not trying to tell you to run but just want you to know unless your able to do most of the work this hobby ain't as much fun as it use to be....
Oh yess I'm def aware, I'm halfway through the restoration of my 69 bee. Already finished my 69 charger. And I have 5 more in line ready. 6 including this RT. I have a ton of parts, and do all my own work. I love this stuff. I was diggin around to see if it was worth buying. I def think it is. I'm going to pick it up this weekend. I looked in my books they made 1,935 coronet RT with a 440 4spd

You sir, have the disease.... Guess we know why your here... :thumbsup:

Yup, it's rare, it's cool... And your kids ain't going to college.... :lol:

That is nicely optioned and will be a sharp looking car.

Auto Transport Service
Back