• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 vs 69 difference

RonnieK

Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
I’ve got plans to make a 69 Charger Tube Chassis Drag Car. Likely will need a shell. Obvious problem is it’s an arm and a leg for one. Don’t wanna give my arm or leg up. Kind of need them.

The thought process was to take a 68 shell (more easier to find and cheaper) and modify the grill and tail to a 69.

Outside of small stuff like gauge positioning, marker light, key location and the extra bracket on the radiator cross that won’t matter anyways since it’s a drag car. Is there really any other major difference between the two years? I don’t believe there were any other differences like shaping, curves or anything to the body?

Need a 69 top bulb car to accompany the street-strip bottom bulb 68. Thanks in advance.

2D6A19C9-582A-4E06-918F-8CD43A5022FF.jpeg

Not sure if the chargers are the same, but the coronets/superbees in 68 and 69 have the door lock tab in a slightly different position on the top of the door. 68 is close to the door edge, 69 is like 2-3" farther forward.

The only sheetmetal differences off the top of my head are the reverse lights in the valence and the side markers.

Finding a good front grill will probably not be cheap and tail lights, tail panel and rear valance will cost as well. The 69 stuff adds up quick.

I turned down a great offer for my 68 Charger, when the guy said he was going to turn it into 69.

Buy a crown Vic and and stick all the sheet metal on and don’t trash another real charger... cheap and easy like a gm product.

Tube chassis drag car? Easy, just buy the reproduction metal and mount it on the tube chassis. Why start with overpriced rusted or junk parts?

Tube chassis drag car? Easy, just buy the reproduction metal and mount it on the tube chassis. Why start with overpriced rusted or junk parts?

Exactly. You might have to source original cowl or a-pillars... but that would not even have to be Charger stuff.

Building a tube chassis, and hanging all the sheetmetal to it, is the best idea so far! But will all the reproduction parts be available at the same time? I had to wait over 6 months for a pair of fenders in the past........

Don't cut up an original car just buy the panels you need. Use the windshield frame from a 69 coronet. I run a tube chassis challenger and all I used was the roof skin, quarter panels and a pilars

Anything you find that is second gen. Charger will most likely cost you some body parts and maybe the first born!!! That why the last one of many I have owned was back about 2004 and will NEVER likely own another...period!!

They use crown vics for general lee’s all the time ask them...!

Auto Transport Service
Back