• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 B body parking light/ fender mounted turnsignal question

0DegreeEngineer

Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 gtx and the issue I am having is that my front parking lights do not operate. I have also replaced the housings with remanufactured ones and same issue no parking lights, I was also told the fender mounted turn signals should be on when the parking lights are on is this true? All the turn signals work and both the tailights and single license plate light come on in the rear when the light switch is in the "park" position, I have also attempted to place a ground wire directly from the battery to the parking brake housing with no change their either, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Did you test for 12 volts at the front parking light socket? As far as I know the fender turn signal only operates when the turn signal is used. Not at all on park.

The fender mounted turn signal indicators only light with column mounted switch and the flasher switch. Up until 1968 the front parking lights only lit in the park position of the headlight switch. That was changed in 1969 and they stayed lit with the headlights. Check voltage at the switch.

The fender mounted turn signal indicators only light with column mounted switch and the flasher switch. Up until 1968 the front parking lights only lit in the park position of the headlight switch. That was changed in 1969 and they stayed lit with the headlights. Check voltage at the switch.
Front feeds to terminal U on the bulkhead. Its a black with a yellow tracer that he has to verify 12 volts at the socket.

Last edited:
The ground for the front park light sockets is the housing. The sockets are crimped to the housing, housing is screwed to bumper = grounded.

I don't know the quality of repop housings, but I would first check to see that the socket is grounded. Run a wire from socket metal direct to ground. I've seen old housings with rust under the socket crimp not make ground.

The switch is good as the rear work. Same circuit with a big splice. Front feeds to terminal U on the bulkhead. Its a black with a yellow tracer that he has to verify 12 volts at the socket.

actually is not totally correct per at least what diagram shows. On 68/70 switches the rear and front parking lights are separated circuits coming out from the switch. The only diff which made to work together on 69/70 is a splice or jumper wire between rear and front circuits made on 69/70 harnesses to keep fronts on with headlights on being sourced from rear circuit output with headlights on, diff from 68 where like on earliers, the fronts turns off without this link made on harness.

now, the weird thing here is if he is not getting power on any lights switch position?, so as you mention, the circuit running throught the bulkhead should be checked.

Last edited:
Now wondering… if he is checking the parking lights with Headlights on and not in parking position?… if he gets front parking lights in parking position… did his car get a 68 underdash harness?

about top fender lights. They are just for blinking indicators, either turnings or hazzards. However, a bad grounding on front parking lights could make to dim fender top lights with parkings on.

Last edited:
If the front turn signals function correctly it’s probably safe to assume that the grounding is good. I would start by unplugging the 2 pin connectors at the lights and checking for voltage at the female side of the plug on the forward lighting harness. If no power is present, check for voltage at the bulkhead terminal U. If no voltage is present you have a wiring or switch issue under the dash.

I edited my post 4. The wire off the switch feeds the front park lights and it goes from the switch to bulkhead terminal U.

park wire.JPG

Interesting! Diagrams posted at MyMopar for Dodges shows a small jumper wire between rear and front parking light circuits at switch/plug!

(hence why I don’t trust completelly on those diagrams LOL)

Auto Transport Service
Back