• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Bee Headlight Bezels - What gets paint?

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
On my 69 Bee, the previous owner had evidently stripped the anodizing, I cleaned the flat back off, was a botched job pretty much per the attached pic. I have several questions.

There are two larger raised bands and in between them smaller ones. Most of the restored pics I have seen have left the wider bands, which flow with similar bands on the grill, unpainted and the middle is entirely black. I have saved a post by dadsbee from back in 2018 on his restoration and all of the raised "bands" (for lack of a better description) are left unpainted with the black filling in between. So, how did they come from the factory?

Also, Dadsbee did an excellent job with his, and simulated the anodizing with Volkswagon Reflex Silver Metalic. CBVW2039. I have been unable to locate that but what else would be close? I have found the Volkswagon Reflex Silver Metallic with a slightly different number but fearful that would be shades off.

What is the best black to use for these and the tail panel (that one is gonna be fun with those DODGE raised letters).

Lastly, for the portion on these left unpainted, what is the best method to polish, what grit paper to begin and end with, etc?

Thanks much!

Photo Nov 25 2022, 1 12 40 PM.jpg

I didn't "replace the anodizing" with reflex silver metalic. I replaced the factory argent areas with it.

I did not leave ALL the raised bands unpainted!

As for how they came from the factory... I think I got it pretty close, right down to asking numerous people how the top of the grill section and headlight bezel black doesn't blend like you'd think it would have been done. The mismatch, in my opinion, is factory correct.

Don't confuse a Coronet grill paint job with a Bee paint job, they are done differently.
beerestoration2019 2195.JPG
beerestoration2019 2222.JPG
beerestoration2019 2223.JPG
beerestoration2019 2224.JPG

Last edited:
Yes I knew coronets and Bees are different. Yours looks great! I appreciate your posts from years ago, I will follow it as closely as I can. These pics are a great reference. Thanks

By the way, love the color. My B7, repainted and polished. Bumpers are being re-chromed now. Just gotta get these bezels and tail panel done.

B21F8B07-D83B-4C53-BF1B-19F429B74083.jpeg

58D7D61F-8EBE-4225-8EAA-6480DF1FB76A.jpeg

Yes I knew coronets and Bees are different. Yours looks great!
Based on what you stated in post #1 I wanted to make sure, as you described what I did incorrectly in regards to the raised bands and the buckets aren't supposed to be bright anodize, they are supposed to be argent. Only the front edge and wide band should be bright anodize.

Based on what you stated in post #1 I wanted to make sure, as you described what I did incorrectly in regards to the raised bands and the buckets aren't supposed to be bright anodize, they are supposed to be argent. Only the front edge and wide band should be bright anodize.
Thanks - I may be a bit confused. Sorry about that. On the pic attached I would appreciate it very much if you could direct me on each of the numbered areas. I realize where the black goes...

What I do not know for sure now is the exact finish. My bezels were stripped when I got them, no anodizing etc. So the large band #1 and the smaller ones #2 are the same, but is the finish argent? If so where do I obtain? The edge #3 I assumed was just the aluminum polished, and the large area #4 was the previously anodized. If so did you get yours re-anodized somewhere or do something in lieu of that.

Basically, what do I need to do to each of those areas, I am starting with the bezels stripped. Yours looks great and I would like to duplicate as closely as possible. Thanks very much!

Headlight Bezel numbered.jpg

Factory, the entire grill gets anodized to start so the leading edge and raised large band stay shiny (or in the case of a Coronet all bands stay shiny). I'm sure they then used some quick drop in masking to paint area 4 argent and everything but the wide raised band #1 semi gloss / satin black. The center grill top area has a brushed finish and I show how I restored that in my restoration thread.

That grill does not looked "stripped" of anodizing. It's too shiny. Stripped of paint yes. Take it to the polishing wheel and polish up the leading edge and the wide band. Then it's mask, prep and paint time.

Look at it this way. There are 7 "ribs" in the grill and I'll call them 1 at the top through 7 at the bottom.
On the Bee, ribs 1 & 7 are shiny (anodized) only, where ribs 2 through 6 are all painted satin black. Ribs 1 & 7 also carry around the headlight bezels completing the circle around the black ribs. @dadsbee post #2 picture #3
On your picture what you call #4 is Argent and #3 is shiny (anodized).
On my Coronet all the ribs (1-7) are shiny with black in between on the headlight bezels.

IMG_2775.JPG

ezgif-3-2fd269956d0f.jpg

I snapped this pic at Bowling Green this year at Moparty. NOS Bee HL Bezel(?)

bee hl bezel.jpg

Factory, the entire grill gets anodized to start so the leading edge and raised large band stay shiny (or in the case of a Coronet all bands stay shiny). I'm sure they then used some quick drop in masking to paint area 4 argent and everything but the wide raised band #1 semi gloss / satin black. The center grill top area has a brushed finish and I show how I restored that in my restoration thread.

That grill does not looked "stripped" of anodizing. It's too shiny. Stripped of paint yes. Take it to the polishing wheel and polish up the leading edge and the wide band. Then it's mask, prep and paint time.
Thank you! Got it. Truly appreciate your help!

Auto Transport Service
Back