• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger 440 Exhaust Manifold removal

robl72

Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
I have to replace the passengers side exhaust manifold gasket on my 69 Charger 440. Any info or tips on how to get it off will help. It looks tight. will the manifold come off with the fender so close once I get the nuts off?

Best bet might be to loosen the motor mounts and lift the engine. The 2 or 3 inches of lift will be just enough to make your job easier. Just MO.

Best bet might be to loosen the motor mounts and lift the engine. The 2 or 3 inches of lift will be just enough to make your job easier. Just MO.

Thanks IYO where is the best place to lift the engine from.

A carb plate is the best option.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Perf...ds=engine+lifting+plate&qid=1625696948&sr=8-3

51Z182EYXEL._AC_.jpg

will the manifold come off with the fender so close once I get the nuts off?

It will come off without lifting the engine. I just took one off of a 440 Charger on Saturday. Casting 2806900.

It will come off without lifting the engine. I just took one off of a 440 Charger on Saturday. Casting 2806900.

Was it difficult. Did you have to do anything specific to get it past the inner fender/shock mount. I have a stock exhaust do I have to drop the whole H pipe?

Last edited:
Was it difficult. Did you have to do anything specific to get it past the inner fender/shock mount. I have a stock exhaust do I have to drop the whole H pipe?

Go out to your garage and take it off. No rocket science involved. But do drain the antifreeze as TN Mopar said because one of the back studs will likely come out and it’ll be pouring out from the threaded hole.

Go out to your garage and take it off. No rocket science involved. But do drain the antifreeze as TN Mopar said because one of the back studs will likely come out and it’ll be pouring out from the threaded hole.

Thank you. I do have the confidence to do this job. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something before I ripped it apart. I want to minimize down time as it is Driving season....

It will come off. Drain antifreeze like mentioned above. If it’s nice and pretty under the hood use a thin cloth or towel between it and the fender. Very thin…there are just millimetres to spare to get it out. You will have to manoeuvre it around a bit till it finds the magic orientation to slide right out.

I just bought one of these. Kinda nervous to use it lifting a big block AND 727. Seems like it might pull the threads out of an aluminum manifold? Or should I just go ahead and swing it in there?
Be sure to thread the bolts all the way in, that will prevent thread damage. And be sure to use 4 bolts, no less.

I never cared for the carb plates
I know a lot of people use them but I agree it seems like a lot of weight on the sMall threads of a carb mount
I use the 4 corner intake BOLTS

IMG_20190630_141432849.jpg

Do you have to remove any of the spark plugs or wires when taking the manifold off ??

Auto Transport Service
Back