• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger 8 3/4 Axle housing Markings (Yellow "B" and Circle "X" on back or not?)

robl72

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
Trying to figure out the correct marking for my 8 3/4 axle housing for my 11/19/1968 Charger (Hamtramck).

I have seen some 8 3/4 housing marked with a Yellow "B" and a circled "X" on the rear of the Housing. Not sure if that is specific manufacturing plants or models.

If any has some pics of their 69 Charger with the markings please share.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I’d make it look good, and not put either on. :D

Sorry about that. I don’t mean to dis the OEM resto crowd. But this is the drivetrain forum. And… I haven’t been on BAT in months. Tired of all the 911’s and old Broncos. But a ‘63 Split Window Fuelie Vette just moved for $250k. Another ‘63 SW Vette with an LS in it went for $280k. So the hot rod one was more desirable to the bidders. Probably because it will be driven.

Thanks…just trying to figure out what was correct for a 69 Charger hamtramck build.

My 68 hamtramck charger had a yellow circle . Not sure if ther was an x inside it.

That's interesting. Sounds like if you put the last two responses together you would have a Yellow X with a circle.... I am looking at two pics of OE Restored Daytona's online. I know they were done later in the year but I believe all Daytona's were Hamtramck too. I put the pics of them below.

IMG_7748.jpg

IMG_7747.jpg

Not sure if this helps but here’s my very Late ‘68 Los Angeles built Bee. I replicated these when I restored rear axle. Notice “B” with white dot on rear of housing. Axle code in yellow, date code in white. Small 1/4” white dots on bottom of brake backing plates I did not capture. Notice red daub on brake T bolt

IMG_4518.jpeg

IMG_4519.jpeg

IMG_4520.jpeg

IMG_4523.jpeg

IMG_4522.jpeg

IMG_4521.jpeg

IMG_4517.jpeg

Cool Pics. Wonder how much difference the markings were between LA & Hamtramck

Auto Transport Service
Back