• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 Charger: Mystery wire behind gauge cluster, left side.

kaj750

Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
Hey, guys!
So.. when pulling and labeling all the wires/bulbs/etc to my cluster, I found this random wire floating around. It doesn't look like it's connected to anything. The entire cluster works so I'm thinking it's an old wire and a new one was been run, instead. The only newish wires that I can find look to go to the back side of the tach. Could this be the old wire, coming from the coil?
As you can see, it's to the left of the steering column, and so I assume it ran to that side of the cluster.
Thanks for looking.

20231229_173011.jpg

How many speeds do your windshield wipers have? Two? Three? Variable?

If it is a gray wire it goes to clock.....if brown it goes to wiper or washer switch

How many speeds do your windshield wipers have? Two? Three? Variable?

I've actually not used them yet. I'm having trouble finding wipers so can't run them yet. Next time I'm out, I'll check the switch position, though.

Does the clock work ?

If it is a gray wire it goes to clock.....if brown it goes to wiper or washer switch

It is grey, yep! I also see that my cluster has a hole for what I assume was a way to adjust the clock... but I have no clock. Bummer. It would be cool to have it.

20231229_205234.jpg

I've actually not used them yet. I'm having trouble finding wipers so can't run them yet. Next time I'm out, I'll check the switch position, though.

It is grey, yep! I also see that my cluster has a hole for what I assume was a way to adjust the clock... but I have no clock. Bummer. It would be cool to have it.

View attachment 1581676
That is an aftermarket tach.... Mopar didn't often a separate tach... Your can probably came with a clock only...

Auto Transport Service
Back