• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 charger r/t-se: Building my dream car

After such a long wait you dump the mother load on us haha. That's what I'm talking about! $700.................. you dirty thief! Man you made out like a bandit and I can tell you after putting hundreds of miles on my Viper tranny I'm in love, whoever said you can't have your cake and eat it too never had a six speed. Your right about the Mustangs using the Viper spec tranny and as a matter of fact that's the shifter you want for this install beings it's got a 2 bolt setup (mines a B&M for the Mustang). Those pedals are badass! Way to go

If there's anything I can help with feel free to ask, I still have the wood patterns for the cross member mods too.

Well gentlemen, I got the front calipers right side up on sunday (lol) and bled the brakes, and I'm proud to say that Frankenstein moved (and stopped) under its own power yesterday. Three long years after I dragged the big dead bastard 500 miles up here from LA, and they were totally worth it the second I mashed the go-pedal, heard the uncorked 440 light off, and felt the unsecured Viper seat slide back as the doorless/hoodless/glassless Charger gocart took off towards the sunset, what a day lol
:eek:ccasion14:
[video]https://youtu.be/XxS4j-pkodM[/video]

Wish I had my camera ready to get more video than that one my neighbor took, but I'm sure I'll get some more tonight haha.

So Frankenstein runs and drives, is (so far) mechanically sound, and the parts arsenal has really been coming along. Over the next few months, my friends, the real fun begins lol :chain saw:

Speedy your one of the guys here that makes me want to head out and do more, you would put a picture of the Road runner in here lol, you DO have a great supply of parts there, i don't know, i think i should be shopping some at the least soak up some of that summer fun before the white stuff comes! Yep you have me thinking, you sir have a great one and looking forward to some more Charger work! ;)
A little inspiration never hurts! :icon_thumleft: hope you've been having a great summer Ron!

After such a long wait you dump the mother load on us haha. That's what I'm talking about! $700.................. you dirty thief! Man you made out like a bandit and I can tell you after putting hundreds of miles on my Viper tranny I'm in love, whoever said you can't have your cake and eat it too never had a six speed. Your right about the Mustangs using the Viper spec tranny and as a matter of fact that's the shifter you want for this install beings it's got a 2 bolt setup (mines a B&M for the Mustang). Those pedals are badass! Way to go

If there's anything I can help with feel free to ask, I still have the wood patterns for the cross member mods too.
Well after this long I had to make some kind of big entrance haha, thanks Dev! Yeah I seriously lucked out! And now I have a deal lined up for the bellhousing for the same price you and goon paid, apparently they're up to $700 new from Summit now. But that's great to hear, I remembered you talking about the mustang shifter on your thread so I was hoping that would be the case! I'm sure I'll have a hundred questions for you coming up here shortly lol

More fun blasting the Charger around with some more action and better sound! Trans is slipping pretty bad but I have another one I can throw in, and the automatic won't be in the car for long anyway. But DAMN does this engine want to run! :banana:

[video]https://youtu.be/mTG-elswwQo[/video]

Also took the opportunity to weird up the parking lot at the market out in front of my shop lol people were actually loving it, and by the time I came out with my corndog there was a small crowd of people wanting to ask questions about it. Good motivation for the mountain of body/fabrication work that's ahead of me this fall and winter

20150623_210002.jpg

20150623_210855.jpg

Good stuff Speedy. Glad to see you are back on track with getting her put together.

Sounds good speedy n tnks for the entertainment n you are moving in the rite direction havent progressed any on my project n outsourced my fenders n pic up a couple doors thats about it.

Now that's a true fanatic! Who needs stinking doors, lights, glass or anything else RIGHT? Motivation is a powerful tool.

Now that's a true fanatic! Who needs stinking doors, lights, glass or anything else RIGHT? Motivation is a powerful tool.

Now that is TOO COOL . . . need to remember to drive my car like this too ! ! !

X2 - a true fanatic ! ! Way to go Speedy ! ! !

So where are you located.. Have to go from Pasadena CA to Eugene OR. Might have to come check out your rides.

Thanks guys! Feels good to see I haven't been pouring all this time and money into a big garage ornament lol. Can't even describe the satisfaction of throwing that shifter down into drive and rolling out of the shop for the first time, we're not home yet but we've definitely come a long way

buildthread2.jpg

My Quicktime bellhousing for the 6-speed shipped out to me today, too, got lucky and was able to score it for $530 shipped from a member of the mopar muscle cars facebook group.

So a lot of things have contributed to my ever-changing gameplan, from scoring new parts I didn't expect to find/afford, to having to completely rebuild my totalled Chevelle. But now that I have most of the major puzzle pieces, the new skills I've picked up along the way, and a fast approaching fall/winter of work, I feel confident in my direction and ability to knock out my masterpiece. So here's my basic roadmap from here on out, and please feel free to comment on any suggestions to it

- Temporarily get road legal to get the car up to my buddy's frame rack and double check that Frankenstein's all nice and square before cage/chassis work, get my exhaust redone up to my new headers while I'm up there

-Have some fun with the big block gocart lol

-strip remaining metal surfaces, and finish sheet metal repairs

-weld in cage, torque boxes, subframe connectors, and any other chassis stiffening

-any other metal fabrication as far as body or interior, things that can't come off the car

-pull engine for top end build, accessory drive modifications, Procharger fitting

-any desired engine bay re-working/touch-ups

-body/paint

-engine re-install, naturally aspirated, carbureted

-T56 6-speed install

-interior work/fabrication

This is where I'm hoping to be by next summer if possible, then whenever funds allow:

-efi conversion, naturally aspirated

-rear suspension/rear end build

-once comfortable with the tuning software and how everything's going, bolt on the Procharger

As far as getting the car done in the most logical order, now that the end-goal dream car is actually within reach with the parts, skills, and knowledge I've collected, this is the best way I can think of to go about things. Sound like I'm on the right track here?

Still have a few things I'll be doing on the Chevelle here over the next few weeks, too, including an entry video for the Hoonigan Burnout Kings contest that I'll actually be doing with a new friend that was an Executive Producer for the first five Ken Block Gymkhana videos! If you watch the behind the scenes of San Francisco video, he's the guy named Mike Aland, really cool dude and I'm really excited that he was willing to help me out!

But at this point I'm really looking forward to digging back into the Charger and creating the street monster I always imagined it would be. It's gonna be a fun winter, gentlemen!

20150623_224926.jpg

Good stuff Speedy. Glad to see you are back on track with getting her put together.
Thanks Joel, pretty refreshing to be back on the Charger after all the work I did on that Rambler for my friend haha

Sounds good speedy n tnks for the entertainment n you are moving in the rite direction havent progressed any on my project n outsourced my fenders n pic up a couple doors thats about it.
Thanks Steven! And don't worry, seems like everyone's taken a little break to enjoy the summer and I'm definitely guilty of that as well, even with all the Rambler work lol

It's alive!!!! Good work!
LOL thanks Daytona! Man, I feel like I've used that picture 3 or 4 times in this thread already with fighting my ignition issues before this orange box setup, and I'll probably use it another 3 or 4 times with adding the 6 speed, efi, and procharger. This might end up setting a record for longest buildthread, but frankenstein's definitely aliiiiiiive this time! Lol!

Amen, reverun'!! Even without the so-called "necessities" it's a pretty victorious feeling considering the basketcase I started out with lol!

Now that is TOO COOL . . . need to remember to drive my car like this too ! ! !

X2 - a true fanatic ! ! Way to go Speedy ! ! !
Thanks Kahn! And believe me, it's my greatest hope for any friend of mine to at least once in their life experience the face-melting fun of a bare bones mopar go-cart, it's the stuff dreams are made of lol!

So where are you located.. Have to go from Pasadena CA to Eugene OR. Might have to come check out your rides.
Yep I'd be on the way, Grants Pass sits next to I5 about 2 hours south of Eugene, and my shop is about half a mile from the off-ramp haha. When are you rolling through?

I ride around in my jeep like that all the time....

lol...cool ride! I love it!

sjd
Haha thanks Steve! Hard to believe it's only going to be more fun as the build goes on from here

I've got a suggestion, move your radiator in front of the support! This is a major pain in my ***, it limits my choices on pulleys, hard to fit electric fans and makes readjusting my solid lift cam a real pain. Having it in front would free up allot of space making things way easier to work on, I'll likely move mine when I install the A/C. The other thing is to route every singe wire you might need in the future to avoid having to come back and booger up your paint for example any MSD ignition wants the coil wires ran separate from all other wiring meaning another hole in the firewall if mounting it inside.

She's gonna be sweet and I can't wait to see the video!

I think I finally figured it out . . .

Speedy wanted the "best" and "fastest" way to remove all the dust and metal grinding from inside his car . . .so he took it for a SPIN.

Actually, I think his idea is BRILLIANT ! ! !

Note to self - remember this when the Khan-vertible needs to be cleaned out !

Well the bellhousing showed up all the way from Mexico! Haha

IMG_02941.jpg

I was lucky enough to score it new/secondhand from a member of the mopar muscle cars facebook page for $530 shipped as opposed to $700 from Summit. And I didn't realize in the pictures how beefy these things are, pretty solid piece!

20150819_225611.jpg

Also an interesting little project I've got going for the Chevelle (told you guys I still had a couple up my sleeve lol), finally got the front end design finished and got going on fabricating everything. I'm really not the biggest fan of the stamped tin chevy grille, so I did some basic rough drawings of what I had in mind

IMAG3722.jpg

Refined it a little and got into the details

IMAG3724.jpg

Then got to work! Started with some foam posterboard templates to figure out the most practical way to make the modifications the new grille would bolt to.

IMAG3684.jpg

Basically I'm keeping the factory lower tie bar, and the grille will be a mixture of perforated/sheet metal and molded carbon fiber, and three piece (headlight bezels and center) a lot like the factory grille was, but I've eliminated the outer "eyebrow" pieces in favor of "buckets" that the headlight bezels will be sucked back into and squared off against. See also: "Charger ish" lol. So I cut out some sheet metal based on my templates and got them bent up using some box steel tubing to give a nice inside radius

IMAG3689.jpg

IMAG3687.jpg

And they fit pretty awesome!

IMAG3660.jpg

IMAG3666.jpg

IMAG3670.jpg

Just have to get them welded in, read up some more on diy vacuum bagging techniques, and get after making my headlight bezel molds. Fun project so far though, hopefully it'll all come together and end up like the drawing. More work on the Charger incoming as well

20150623_205055(0).jpg

I've got a suggestion, move your radiator in front of the support! This is a major pain in my ***, it limits my choices on pulleys, hard to fit electric fans and makes readjusting my solid lift cam a real pain. Having it in front would free up allot of space making things way easier to work on, I'll likely move mine when I install the A/C. The other thing is to route every singe wire you might need in the future to avoid having to come back and booger up your paint for example any MSD ignition wants the coil wires ran separate from all other wiring meaning another hole in the firewall if mounting it inside.

She's gonna be sweet and I can't wait to see the video!
Good points Dev! Gonna be difficult though since I was planning on the intercooler being out front ahead of the radiator, and engine bay wiring will go through pretty major changes with the efi conversion. But it'll definitely help having that in mind now

I think I finally figured it out . . .

Speedy wanted the "best" and "fastest" way to remove all the dust and metal grinding from inside his car . . .so he took it for a SPIN.

Actually, I think his idea is BRILLIANT ! ! !

Note to self - remember this when the Khan-vertible needs to be cleaned out !
Like I said, beats the air compressor! Hahaha

Sept 10th ish.. Know where Grants Pass is!!
Ah I might be out of town that weekend, but shoot me a message and see if I'm around!

Hey Speedy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been a while since I have posted anything here on your thread......................

Been lurking around some though.....................

Awesome progress brother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's a "Bow Tie", but I really like the Chevelle. It really looks sinister.
My favorite years are 69, then 66-67.

Nice rides !!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Please keep us posted on the grill work.

Auto Transport Service
Back