• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet R/T Track Pack Convertible 252511 Lost 440 block

I’ve got a 68 block from a St. Louis built car but I don’t have the numbers handy, I did post about awhile back so dig around. I’m only looking to reunite it with the car if possible.

I’ve got a 68 block from a St. Louis built car but I don’t have the numbers handy, I did post about awhile back so dig around. I’m only looking to reunite it with the car if possible.
I have been digging through the forums to see if any of the 440s for sale match my vin. The search goes on!!

I checked your post. The two you mentioned are not mine. Thanks for the heads up!

My friend has a 70 Charger N code 383 car. It had a 66 383 engine in it. He answered a Craigslist ad for a 70 HP 383 engine and it turned out to be the matching numbers engine to his car! He didn't mention to the seller it was the original engine to his car,but he said it was hard to maintain a poker face after reading the numbers on the side of the block! It's always worth a shot putting it out there,maybe you might get lucky! Nice Coronet R/T vert!
....oh dear lord.....that really would be fantastic.

That is an awesome story! Glad he was reconnected with his original block! Thanks!!
I have some strange history connecting with stuff because of the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle. I used to own a numbers matching Hemi GTX that was reunited with its original engine 25 years after it was removed from the car. At the 1997 event, there was a complete Hemi on an engine stand, something you don't see too often. I was there and watched it run. The owner of my future GTX was there as well, and swapped two Hemi short blocks to get the original back. He spent the next decade restoring car. The Hemi still retained its original manifolds, carbs, and air cleaner. I bought the car a decade after it was finished, and the former owner turned 88.

A few years after the Hemi encounter, I met the guy who owned the first GTX I ever drove, when it was new, and I was 16 years old. I was walking the swap meet area, showing people pictures of the car. After 20 years of negotiation, the owner sold it to me last year. Don't underestimate the power of networking at a major Mopar show.

I have some strange history connecting with stuff because of the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle. I used to own a numbers matching Hemi GTX that was reunited with its original engine 25 years after it was removed from the car. At the 1997 event, there was a complete Hemi on an engine stand, something you don't see too often. I was there and watched it run. The owner of my future GTX was there as well, and swapped two Hemi short blocks to get the original back. He spent the next decade restoring car. The Hemi still retained its original manifolds, carbs, and air cleaner. I bought the car a decade after it was finished, and the former owner turned 88.

A few years after the Hemi encounter, I met the guy who owned the first GTX I ever drove, when it was new, and I was 16 years old. I was walking the swap meet area, showing people pictures of the car. After 20 years of negotiation, the owner sold it to me last year. Don't underestimate the power of networking at a major Mopar show.
Wow! What an awesome story that reunited a motor to the original car and to be able to buy the first car you drove. Also wow! To own a Hemi car! Someday I will have my very own Hemi car parked next to the Coronet 440 vert! Thanks for sharing your story. When it warms up some I need to get under my car to check the motor vin. My seller said it was replaced with a 70 Charger R/T 440. I checked the stamping on the top of the block and it has a E 440 which I believe is for 69. Also the build date stamp is 4/15 while the car fender tag has a build date of 4/17!!! So the motor was built 2 days before the car! I am hoping my seller was wrong and when he bought it in 1981 it still has its original motor.

IMG_3925.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back