• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet, the "Wanna-Bee"..or "Wanna B R/T"

So got the cam stabbed and degreed in. New Elgin lifters residing in the bores, push rods in, rockers torqued down. Just gotta degunk the timing cover and valve covers. I figured I'd break in the cam with the 2bbl heads and manifolds so the headers dont get cooked. They will go on with the heads as long as all goes well. Plus one less thing to worry about. I may add some vinegar to the radiator during the cam break in to try and clean up the inside of the cooling passages...I was going to get the radiator boiled out...but apparently that's not done anymore. Another dying art related to our "throw it away" lifestyle. Damn shame. So maybe tomorrow....maybe monday she'll be ready to fire.

I did some measuring and found the cam I took out had a whopping .303 lifting distance (caliper measure across narrow side vs lobe side) compared to .448 of the voodoo (both intake). Hold the flaming I know those measurements really dont mean much..I was just looking for a rough idea of the difference. Interesting though if you add .05 to those numbers that is very close to the Mopar numbers for a 1969 cam...and the Voodoo...so coincidence? Dont know..dont care..just satisfying my own blatant curiosity.

Thoughts on the vinegar cleaning?
And below...my fight with the timing cover...bolt was seized in the aluminum and at the threads...and just a little chain deflection from the ancient cogs.

20200226_221658.jpg 20200227_212455.jpg 20200227_212844.jpg 20200227_212851.jpg

Ok...Cam is in...battery fully charged...tin covers are on...distributor is in and set about 8 degrees BTDC..radiator in..tranny lines reconnected...finishing temporary tach wiring...just need to tighten up the lower radiator clamp...add water...burp it...install thermostat and housing..and hose...prime the carb...pour in the cam breakin additive....say a little prayer to the Lunati Cam Lobe God of Strength....and turn the key...wish me luck.

15845662276887287452247742838173.jpg

So comp cams came up with a breakin for flat tappet with stamped steel rockers (check you tube) and it is supported by Golen engine builders...so I figured why not...just a minor variation of 3 10 minute run cycles with 10 minute rest cycles in between and using 2500-2800 rpm. So round one...saw minor seepage from the new coolant hoses..no biggie..turn the screw.....no tick..no knock...65psi oil....sounds strong

Round 2.....I topped off the radiator...fire it up...right to 2500 rpm as fast as I could turn the screw. ...5 minutes in...no odd noises...up to 2700rpm....5 minutes...no odd noises...idle down to 1500...off goes the key...
Just as I am patting myself on the back for taking care of the sleeping coolant from round one..I'm standing back about 3 feet admiring my handiwork thus far....
All of a sudden the sound of an m80 under the hood...my ears are currently ringing as I type this....Old Faithful came all the way down from Wyoming to Texas to pay a visit....
My upper hose exploded off the water neck and sent a hot jet of water and some traces of coolant everywhere....post mortem inspection shows the clamp slipped.....I think I need a lesser psi cap....and a mop.

Last edited:
Round 3....no issues noted....cam survived...I do wish I had added a chain tensioner.

Tomorrow I'll clean the garage (land lord coming friday) and drop in the electronic ignition and solid state regulator (vr706) if there's time.

So my beehive spring kit as recommended by lunati arrived today (thank you Jegs for the price match to Lunati direct) as part of my order including a new Grant wheel and adapter, plus a 14" air cleaner with breathable top plate. My bank was nice enough to defer my truck payments due to covid-19 for 3 months...so off to the machine shop I will go to get the used Eddie's cleaned up, checked out, valve job and have the spring heights etc dialed in. I think I am going to strip them down and do a little clean up around the bowls...as well as gasket match the inlets and the bottom of the Crosswind "gap style" manifold. Which BTW..looks like a really nice piece. They had the polished version direct from them on sale. I read about the bolt hole issues...but honestly they look dead on...my grinder will be at the ready. All the inconsistencies I've read about dont seem to still apply to what they are shipping out now. And I have the regular performer if it just wont fit.

Just picked up a Dana 60 semi float with limited slip and 3.55s for 150 bucks. Granted its from a late model Ford Van with 3.5" tubes...but its still a Dana 60. New tube ends, stock size and style 35 spline shafts and a yoke...should be good to go...what could possibly go wrong..lol:cursin::fool:

Certainly cheaper than a prebuilt.

Auto Transport Service
Back