• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 GTX Restoration

Lol, with my luck I would have turned my back for a second and turned around in time to see my gtx rolling down the driveway, engine in tow. Lol. Jk. That was a great, crazy idea that looks like it worked really well. Since I lost my building lease last year, I've been working out of a one car garage and it's crazy how much harder everything is to get done. My right knee is twice it's size from doing this crap. Congrats man, way to keep the end goal in sight and not letting anything stop you. Looks fantastic.

Good move. I installed my motor into the car from top. K member was put under the car. Put it all back to gather like I took it apart. Yes we do what we have to with what we have in our small shop's. Your getting their and doing grate work. Like seeing what other guy's are doing in their shop and restoring these old car's. Won't be long and your will be on the road and all that labor will be worth it.

Update: The car is a roller with the drive train installed. I buttoned up the suspension and got the front disc brake conversion parts to finally work. The A body caliper was hitting the swap bar bracket on the lower control arm when the suspension had no weight on it. Once the suspension had the weight of the car, it seems to clear when the wheel is turned, almost.

F0548438-8DA4-4F78-A9DE-3BBF9813C2F6.jpeg
A590E666-193F-4E51-A2FA-D49C2C4044FD.jpeg
AEF1BB91-0AE4-41E6-B9B6-37F47FA17FE2.jpeg
B070AF05-32F7-4EFF-8107-681E93B0EE89.jpeg

Here is an update-
Yesterday was an extremely productive day on the '69 GTX, thanks to my pals for coming over to help. Car guys would rather spend a day in the shop working on a car than a tropical beach vacation any day. Yesterday was that day for us. The second Sat. in a month we were able to connect, mainly due to in-climate weather here in Minnesota, that prohibited any of us from doing spring yard work, to be together and work on a car. This build is being done in a typical 3 car garage with no hoist, or even a bench vice. Work is done with the car on jack stands, with floor jacks. Lots of up and down on and off the concrete. I am convinced the concrete in my garage is harder than anyone else’s. My body is a wreck today. Rear brakes, E brake cables, hooking up the clutch Zbar and installing the Jesus clips/kit peices. Adjusting the clutch pedal and installing the kick *** 4 speed gear shifter. The only comfortable work was laying down inside the car to work under the dash, hooking up some wiring and installing the massive clutch assister spring on the clutch pedal assembly. Work where one can easily loose a finger if not careful.
Disc brake conversions are easiest when buying a complete kit with all of the parts ready to go. I am not that smart. I had to use existing disc brake parts and brackets that were from a stock Mopar, but unsure of what they were from. Many hours over the past year getting this conversion to work. Bottom line is due to a steering interference issue with the calipers and the front sway bar, the entire front end needed to come back out of the car and get swapped from side to side (thank you forum help here), placing the calipers to the rear of the spindles. While this was done, the freshly painted cosmoline lower control arms were rebuilt. All ground pounding bull work but mission accomplished, complete with a pot of chilly and great camaraderie with my pals. Priceless time, but again today paying the price in body pain.
I finally made the decision on a wheel and tire combo. While I was hoping to find a set of W21 Kelsey Hayes recall wheels, it seems that even aftermarket wheels are non existent, so I decided on a set of Magnum 500s with Cooper Cobras. 15×8 on the back on 255s and 15x7s on the front with 235s.

E38EB076-3F74-4F00-AA53-D6BB36E7AC8F.jpeg

Looking really good. I personally like black tire lettering out. Especially on a GTX. White lettering distracts too much from car. But that's just my opinion. And that debate has always been in B-body discussions.

I guess what begs to ask. "What's the intention with car?" A little show and a little street time? Sale? Maybe add an A-body to your stable? Lol.

My '69 is very similar. 440 4-speed Dana. Except not numbers matching. (Actually not even close.) Though period correct it can never be the $60k+ gem you have. So mine is sentenced to a life of some small show. But mostly street cruising duties. (Poor me. Lol.)

For those that wonder. My short walk around vid is what a $30k+ GTX presents.

Beautiful car and I'm not sure I'd describe the workspace that harshly, as it looks beautiful and quite functional as well.
Appears to be extra deep with lots of workspace available. Has more floor space available than most.

Auto Transport Service
Back