• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Roadrunner 4spd conversion

Gregg DeGeorge

Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score
Hello all ,working on a new project 69 Roadrunner,swapping it over to a 4spd ,thought all was going well but ,I’m using a bellhousing 2892626,bought a used 833 had two mounting places for shifter so I think it’s a 70 or newer ,couldn’t find a date. On it the front bearing carrier is to big in diameter for my bell housing,setting up clutch tonight can’t push it in seems to be 1/4 to big ,question what’s the cheaper fix already have new flywheel and clutch set up ,my bell housing date is 4/2/69 never ran into this before ,can I change that bearing carrier to a smaller one ,tranny in good shape,is a 69 b body tranny smaller front bearing???thanks Gregg

D91779EA-1B17-4897-8D55-8DC4C3AB18A7.jpeg

E7AFB0AC-069B-420B-9211-29EAD56795D5.jpeg

522388E4-97EC-40BC-A9C2-A5B35036873D.jpeg

7C7C157B-3550-4593-8438-80BA4E50335E.jpeg

I assume you actually measured the hole vs the retainer diameters to be sure that is the issue with not going together and not the fact that the input shaft is too long and bottoming in the crank... assuming an undrilled automatic car engine.

I seem to recall that the 18 spline trans had two different diameter front bearing retainers depending on what year they are from. Not sure about the 23 spline transmissions.

I assume you actually measured the hole vs the retainer diameters to be sure that is the issue with not going together and not the fact that the input shaft is too long and bottoming in the crank... assuming an undrilled automatic car engine.
Thanks no it’s a steel crank 4spd 69 440:I put a new pilot bearing in seems my front bearing retainer is 1/4 bigger than the hole in bell housing ;thinking there’s a larger front retainer on some trannys ;thought tr@nny would work B or e body ;maybe I need a b body only Tranny 69 or earlier not sure thanks

Just change the retainer no big deal 23 spline had two different diameter retainers. Maybe the box has been painted but the case looks like aluminum is that the case? Anywho contact brewers they can hook you up with a small diameter retainer.

Is that an aluminum transmission case? It's possible you have one of the 4 speed overdrive units which did have a larger drive pinion bearing retainer. If yours measures 5.125 inches, I'd bet that's what you have. To make it work in that case you can either have the bell housing machined out for the bigger size, or swap in one of the smaller bearing retainers.

Also I could be wrong here but I think the OD trans used the 308 bearing

Is that an aluminum transmission case? It's possible you have one of the 4 speed overdrive units which did have a larger drive pinion bearing retainer. If yours measures 5.125 inches, I'd bet that's what you have. To make it work in that case you can either have the bell housing machined out for the bigger size, or swap in one of the smaller bearing retainers.
Your probably right thought I did good anyway to tell what I bought ;Brewers for small bearing retainer ?..

The short answer - Yes, you can just swap the smaller diameter front bearing retainer and it will work just fine. Brewer's is a good place to call for Mopar 4-speeds

That looks to be an aluminum case. If so it should be an overdrive trans out of a 76 to 87 truck. Brewer could sell you a new one or you could turn yours down to 4.81. The case isn't bushed for the secondary shaft. With use this gets ovaled out. The 3-4 shift lever points down. 3-4 rod may need modifications. I believe you use the auto cross member.

It looks like a 3 speed transmission with overdrive.
It's still a a833 4 speed. They just got creative with the ratio. First is 3.09. Third became .73/ .71. And forth became the new third, which is why you have to flip that lever.

Can you read the vin ID pad on the side of the transmission.
It is it looked just like an e body 833,has the two shifter locations,Friend of mine thinks van or pickup ,it’s in great shape already over budget,turned down that bearing retainer will give it a try tonight ,thanks for the help
It's still a a833 4 speed. They just got creative with the ratio. First is 3.09. Third became .73/ .71. And forth became the new third, which is why you have to flip that lever.
thanks hopefully get tranny mounted tonight ,maybe tomorrow morning drop engine and tranny in car ,so which lever do you want me to flip the 3/4,one I’ll take a picture when I get shifter back in car ? Thanks again for everyone’s help have a great Holiday

FC67680B-34CC-4AB7-B2F4-49CD731433E0.jpeg

05955D17-4A89-46E1-A1FD-16A840B392DA.jpeg

Run it it will work just fine and just an FYI once Chrysler went to the dual position shifter tail housing in 1970 they used it in cars and trucks until the end of A-833 production for B bodies and truck applications. Also make sure you install the correct shifter plate for your application the one pictured looks to be for an inland shifter. If using a hurst shifter you will need a #6348 shifter plate.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back