• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Roadrunner instrument cluster removal?

Cliff426

Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I wanted to remove my speedo instrument cluster to clean up, restore, put new bulbs in. Has anyone taken one out recently? Do I need to remove the bottom portion of dash…it appeared to be that the bottom portion pad might be glued? I didn't want to break or mess things up, I figured I'd see if anyone has just taken out cluster recently and had any tips. Thanks

Yeah you need to take out the bottom dash pad because if I remember correctly there are a couple screws behind it for the instrument cluster. It isn't glued it has thread cutting nuts on the back side of the dash holding it in. You will need to remove the switch bezel as well but you don't have to remove each individual switch.

Thanks eagle one…what color is your car…looks like mine T7?

You will need to remove glovebox door and liner and ash tray as well. The entire dash has to be removed to remove the cluster. I've done it twice in 6 months. :-(

Paladin why are you saying the glovebox needs to be removed? It's been a year for me since I've done it but I don't remember the glovebox being connected to the lower dash pad at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20121111_152636.jpg
    IMG_20121111_152636.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 815
Because it allowed easy access to the dash retaining nuts on the right side.

Paladin why are you saying the glovebox needs to be removed? It's been a year for me since I've done it but I don't remember the glovebox being connected to the lower dash pad at all.

i just had mine out to change the speedometer. i recommend pulling the seat to make life on your back easy. i did not have to pull the glove box. ash tray does need to come out. switch panel needs to come out before the lower pad, there are two screws behind it that hold the lower pad along with a ton of nuts on the back side. once the lower pad is off you can pop the cluster out. i left the column in place and steering wheel on. wasn't a horrible job, but i recommend having a patient day before attempting. it'll go back together a lot faster. your hardest part will be getting the switch panel out of the pad. i used wd-40 to try and lube the pad to keep from messing it up.

Resurrecting this thread for a quick question... I'm in the middle of restoring and repainting my interior, and am trying to figure out how to pick apart the dash components without breaking anything. The switch panel and lower pad are next, and I'm a bit apprehensive when it comes to yanking those out. If I understand 68 HEMI GTS's post above correctly, the switch panel needs to come off before the lower dash pad. When I pry it carefully, it seems the switches want to come out with the panel. Are they supposed to come out with the panel, or stay in the dash? Are there any hidden screws/fasteners behing the dash holding the switch panel? What would be the best way to remove it?

Would appreciate any instructions... don't want to mess this up.

Resurrecting this thread for a quick question... I'm in the middle of restoring and repainting my interior, and am trying to figure out how to pick apart the dash components without breaking anything. The switch panel and lower pad are next, and I'm a bit apprehensive when it comes to yanking those out. If I understand 68 HEMI GTS's post above correctly, the switch panel needs to come off before the lower dash pad. When I pry it carefully, it seems the switches want to come out with the panel. Are they supposed to come out with the panel, or stay in the dash? Are there any hidden screws/fasteners behing the dash holding the switch panel? What would be the best way to remove it?

Would appreciate any instructions... don't want to mess this up.

The switches are screwed into the back side of the bezel. They will come out with it. You will have to unplug the switches in the bezel though. I'm about to do this as well. Lost dash lights. Checked the floor switch and its all good. So Im thinking those damn little light bulb holders are my issue. I will clean up all the contact points as well. Hopefully that will get them working again. Got a little rushed at one point and just stuck the dash in the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back