• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Roadrunner turn signal harness ??

wildwest3163

Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Im having a time trying to figure out why I dont have any brake lights or turn signals (emergency flasher works, turn signals do not) when I narrowed it down to, I believe, the turn signal & harness, I noticed that the plug is a 10 wire plug that the main harness uses 8 wires. The column harness only has 7 wires, and is missing wire 5, which looks to be 1 of 2 wires from the fuse box.

My question is, is the 7 wire turn signal unit the correct one for this car, or has someone put the wrong one in in the past

My 68 Dodge says its a white wire (7 wire) is to the turn signals. Probably the same.

8 wire is to the turn signal switch and is Brown

Thanks Propwash, those are the schematics I live by. If you look at the directional signal switch connector you see that plug 5 is an orange wire carring 12v from the fuse box, but is unused by the directional side of the plug. That was my concern as the only other power in line I saw ran thru the flasher (plug 2)

All the research Ive done though shows all the directional harnesses for this model having 7 wires though, so its kinda lost cause cause question

No problem wildwest........It's not a lost cause question. That orange wire you're speaking of is for the gear selector light in an automatic car with the column shifter. If you have a console shifter or 4-speed, you will not have that orange wire.
If you follow the schematic on that orange wire, you will see the splice for the radio light and back over to the circut panel inst. lights., in turn being activated by your headlight switch when the parking or headlights are activated.

As far as you brake lights/turn signals not working..Obviously check the fuse and your ground at the tail lights first. If that's good, make sure the turn signal flasher is good.
Make sure your brake switch at the top of your brake pedal arm is making good contact and cycling correctly when pumping the pedal

If those are good, with a hot wire tester, make sure you have power running out from the white wire (at the turn signal switch harness connection), when you hit the brake pedal. Leave the harness connected when you test that. Also check the dark green and brown wires coming out of the harness with the blinker activated with ignition or acces. on. You should get a blinking light or surge. It should surge or flash just like it was one of your blinkers going off..

If one of those green/brown or the white or both gives you nothing, and nothing else cured your issue, your turn signal switch is failing. It is a real common issue with these cars now a days. If you get to that point and pull your steering wheel, you will see a white and a red wire on the top of the cancelling cam on your turn signal switch. Those wires curve around kind of a corkscrew curve on the cam and break at that point. So, check the red and white wires and make sure they are secure where the little press rivet that holds them on top as well as check to see they are not torn or broke around that curve or just below where they turn in toward the inside of the turn signal switch. If one or both is broke...try to fix them. The quality of that switch is much better than the new stuff and you'll save yourself some cash. If you found a bad one or both and fixed them....Now try your brakes and turn signals.

If those wires are good and still nothing, time to start thinking about buying a new turn signal switch.

Hope it helps...Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back