• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 RR - Panel Replace order/bracing

RGAZ

Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
Guys,

I am going to replace a large amount of the steel on my 69 RR and I want your advice on bracing locations and order. Here is my thought pattern, but up for discussion:

Both rear skins, panel liners, wheelwells, and rear trunk need to be replaced. Car has all suspension and turnk lid removed. Stripped down to just metal.

My thought:

Weld brace supports across rear unibody supports nearest to rear and above rear end.
Remove trunk floor and panel liners completely.
Install new floor and panel liners.
weld brace from new floor to rear valance and cowl.
Remove rear qtr skins both sides from door back to tailight.
Weld in replacements.
Remove bracing.
Remove unibody supports (one at a time) and replace.
Remove wheelwells (one at a time) and replace.

Any other suggestions on bracing?

Any pictures?

Thanks
Randy

Keep in mind, I am a skilled welder and I have done substantial convertible bracing methods and restoration, but this trunk is presently rust holding hands and I want to make sure I can maintain the geometry before I cut to weld.

I'm doing a `68 Road Runner and have many pics up that might help, in the restoration forum. Click the link to my photo galleries to check them out. Several talented people posting in the restoration forum.

Matt,

You got some really nice OEM pieces to use. I have not found anything like those! I am suprised that you removed the entire rear unibody section without a cross brace of some kind. How did you ensure the unibody parts under the trunk lined up with the center section (i.e. the leaf spring mount distance and alignment to the main tub?)

Good pics. I thought mine looked bad.

Also, what chemical stripper did you use? aircraft?

Matt,

You got some really nice OEM pieces to use. I have not found anything like those! I am suprised that you removed the entire rear unibody section without a cross brace of some kind. How did you ensure the unibody parts under the trunk lined up with the center section (i.e. the leaf spring mount distance and alignment to the main tub?)

Good pics. I thought mine looked bad.

Also, what chemical stripper did you use? aircraft?

I replaced the whole rear unibody in one piece from a doner vehicle, so the frame rails were still attached to the trunk floor which were still attached to the wheelhouses, etc.. The car is attached to the steel rack at the forward rear spring mounts and I transfered a lot of measurements to that steel rack before I disassembled the original stuff. The steel rack kept the car in its original geometry through the process and after I had the new rear section in place all of the dimensions and locating marks matched perfectly. Just to double check my work I shot a laser line through the centerline of the car and got out the tape measure to make sure all parts are centered. Next I mocked up the rest of the parts including package tray, full quarters, filler panel, trunk hinge brackets, tunk gutters, tail light buckets and trunk lid by sheet metal screwing and clamping it all together so I could make sure the body lines and the trunk lid all lined up. With everything all lined up I can weld in all the substructures, take the quarters back off along with the rest of the skin parts and get the unibody media blasted and primed before I put the pretty stuff back on permanently. Yes it was an aircraft stripper, can't remember the brand and I think it was water based.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions on my process.

Hey Detmatt1, your project looks like it going good. Great photo references for the Fourm.
Thanks and good luck on your 68.

Hey Detmatt1, your project looks like it going good. Great photo references for the Fourm.
Thanks and good luck on your 68.

Thanks brother, I'll keep posting as soon as I have time to get back to work on it!.

Auto Transport Service
Back