• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Super Bee with N96 hood springs

8formulas

Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
I'm asking for a friend who has a problem with his hood springs. He has the N96 2 scoop ramcharger hood. His springs are weak and barely keep the hood open. How many coils should the springs have? Thank you.

I don't believe I've ever heard of N96 cars having HD hood hinge spring...his are probably just worn out. Probably a new set would fix him up right.

I agree with the above statement. The only car with “special hood springs” that comes to mind is the TA/AAR cars. Maybe springs weak. My RR I added air grabber in 86 and use stock hood hinges and springs here

No, this has come up before. IIRC there is a difference in the springs.

I've got two factory N96 cars, I'll have to go count the coils again. But for some reason I have 23 coils in my mind from when this was discussed years ago. Also, the diameter of the spring steel MAY be different too?

I've always had to open the hood at least 3/4 up or it's coming down. 21 coils on mine, 21 coils on my Super Bird hood and 27 coils on the '66 Satelitte.

I'm asking for a friend who has a problem with his hood springs. He has the N96 2 scoop ramcharger hood. His springs are weak and barely keep the hood open. How many coils should the springs have? Thank you.
How many coils does his have? Is it a "factory" N96 hood or did he or someone else ADD a N96 hood to the car?

I've always had to open the hood at least 3/4 up or it's coming down. 21 coils on mine, 21 coils on my Super Bird hood and 27 coils on the '66 Satelitte.
Agree with # of coils, except I call it 22 total (I just counted them) with the 1/2 coil on each end with the hooks.

thank you everyone. His car came from the factory with the N96 hood. He has 26 coils.

I guess the other aspect of this is, you didn't tell us what year his car is. Both of mine are '69's. Its possible that a '70 or later could have different springs.

A photo of factory '69 N96 spring........

P3130043.JPG

Hi, 69 is in the title. Thank you for the pic. I will forward to him. Thank you. Mike

Ok I can see on longer hoods like 71/72 Charger with Ramcharger N96 On my non factory N96 car it’s being holding up (no pun intended lol) but that set up is limited to only 1 piece for the box unlike the 3 piece units found on other cars like 69 Plymouth and 68/70 Dodges. Just my experience but shouldn’t the parts books have 2 different numbers for with and without N96. Hopefully someone will post a pic of the parts manual on this model or others. Just my 2 cents

Those 2 fiberglass scoops added how much weight to the steel hood?

5 pounds.....maybe?

Auto Transport Service
Back