• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Wagon console

70chall440

Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
I have been building/repairing a 69 Ply wagon for a friend/client for quite some time. What started off as a relatively simple task morphed into a very lengthy and some what complicated effort. This car started life off as most did of this time, basic /6 AT car however the owner installed a 440 6 pack and a 4spd. I had originally agreed to install a Fitech EFI 6 pack and replace the wiring harness, however this target moved onto replacing the 3rd member, putting in 4 wheel disc brakes just to name a few. Anyway, one of the things I agreed to do was build some type of console for the car because the owner wanted to use a double DIN radio and he wanted cup holders. Keep in mind that that the car is a bench seat car (which he is retaining).

After some thought I decided to build something that paid homage to the original consoles of the era and set about designing and building one. I began using 1/4 rod (onlinemetals.com) and build a sub structure, then using 18g sheet metal built the top, front and side plates. I used 1/4" high carbon square stock for the accents and then used woodgrain shelf paper to finish it off. The cup holders are from Amazon (marketed for boats) and I built in a fuse subpanel that is located on the passenger side in the front and has 2 thumb screws holding the plate on. I also mounted the Fitech controller inside and underneath the stereo.

While this build was tedious, it was not super difficult, about the only expensive tool I used was my 110V mig welder although I admit that I did use my mill to cut the holes for the cup holders and activation button but I did use a basic hole saw (just easier on the mill).

I thought some of you might be interested so here it is. Once I get it mounted in the car I will try and remember to get a pic and post that. The following are pictures of the build and the final product.

Here is the reference pic and pictures of the frame

2691548-33-revo.jpg

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

IMG_5818.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

IMG_5964.JPG

Here are some pictures of front top/front (stereo) plate development. The frame bolts to the underside of the dash with 2 1/4" bolts and 2 10-24 screws to a plate also screwed to the floor using 10-24 screws and nutserts.

IMG_5902.JPG

IMG_5903.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

XLCK4108.JPG

YEJI5363.JPG

Nice work, so far. I look forward to seeing the final product.

Here are some pictures of the woodgrain options, I had 3 versions of "walnut", the owner wanted the lighter color so that is what I used.

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5977.JPG

IMG_5978.JPG

Nice, that looks like a factory Mopar console. I like how you did the ribs.

So here is the final product, I am very happy with the outcome as is the owner. I will say right now that it is not light but it is functional. The cup holders illuminate blue when the button is depressed and they will accept those big *** cups from 7 eleven as well as normal cans/cups. When mounted it is very rigid and it comes completely apart if needed. I forgot to add that I put a USB port in the back which as 2 outputs.

IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

IMG_5985.JPG

I painted the sides B7 blue to match the carpet. The sides are textured, I did this by using truck bed liner spraying from about 10" away, then painted the blue over them. All of the metal got etching primer before paint, the satin black is VHT epoxy roll bar paint. All of the screws are stainless steel.

Awesome. Looks great and functional. Multi-functional even. Well built and won't fall apart. Everything is heavy in an old MOPAR, especially a wagon, so whats a few more pounds.

I have a lot of hours into this project, many of which were just thinking about how to proceed, some which were redoing things I had already done. The console ends right where the front seat stops in its furthest forward position.

You went the distance on it. Sometimes it is hard to re do stuff, but in the end you are more satisfied, not to mention the customer is happier with a quality product. Charge them more...
And just think, the next one that you build will be so much easier, now that you know how.

Very well thought out build. I put a factory repop console, and factory shifter, and buckets in my Plymouth Belvedere sedan. You have mad skills sometimes my concentration is a non factor.

20210921_124123.jpg

20210921_124004.jpg

20210921_124015.jpg

20210921_124142.jpg

Installing the console brackets was easy. I used a template.

20220902_163802.jpg

I have been building/repairing a 69 Ply wagon for a friend/client for quite some time. What started off as a relatively simple task morphed into a very lengthy and some what complicated effort. This car started life off as most did of this time, basic /6 AT car however the owner installed a 440 6 pack and a 4spd. I had originally agreed to install a Fitech EFI 6 pack and replace the wiring harness, however this target moved onto replacing the 3rd member, putting in 4 wheel disc brakes just to name a few. Anyway, one of the things I agreed to do was build some type of console for the car because the owner wanted to use a double DIN radio and he wanted cup holders. Keep in mind that that the car is a bench seat car (which he is retaining).

After some thought I decided to build something that paid homage to the original consoles of the era and set about designing and building one. I began using 1/4 rod (onlinemetals.com) and build a sub structure, then using 18g sheet metal built the top, front and side plates. I used 1/4" high carbon square stock for the accents and then used woodgrain shelf paper to finish it off. The cup holders are from Amazon (marketed for boats) and I built in a fuse subpanel that is located on the passenger side in the front and has 2 thumb screws holding the plate on. I also mounted the Fitech controller inside and underneath the stereo.

While this build was tedious, it was not super difficult, about the only expensive tool I used was my 110V mig welder although I admit that I did use my mill to cut the holes for the cup holders and activation button but I did use a basic hole saw (just easier on the mill).

I thought some of you might be interested so here it is. Once I get it mounted in the car I will try and remember to get a pic and post that. The following are pictures of the build and the final product.
Can you post a pic of the car when it's completed?

Auto Transport Service
Back