• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Air Grabber hose grommet

Bryan,

This may not apply to your car, but a number of early 70 Air Grabber cars did not have the hole and the grommet. The wires came out just behind the voltage regulator. These may have been more prevalent on California cars, but that is speculation on my part. My 70 Air Grabber is like this, so I don't need or use the grommet.

Obviously, if your car has the hole drilled for it then you need the grommet, but I just figured I would provide the information to you and other members just in case. Below are a couple of pictures of a verified original N96 car without the hole drilled FYI.

Hawk

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

Bryan,

This may not apply to your car, but a number of early 70 Air Grabber cars did not have the hole and the grommet. The wires came out just behind the voltage regulator. These may have been more prevalent on California cars, but that is speculation on my part. My 70 Air Grabber is like this, so I don't need or use the grommet.

Obviously, if your car has the hole drilled for it then you need the grommet, but I just figured I would provide the information to you and other members just in case. Below are a couple of pictures of a verified original N96 car without the hole drilled FYI.

Hawk

View attachment 1067701

View attachment 1067702

Much Thanks Hawk,

I had forgotten that yours didn’t have the hole. Mine does. Unfortunately a prior owner removed all the AG stuff. So I’m piecing it back.

I think I’m just missing the hoses, clip for the switch to hold molded hose thing on, solenoid, then some gaskets, and new seal. Then will have to refurbish my hood and hardware. Hopefully the actuator still works.

Oh and the dash molding and bezel. Need that but have a wanted ad for it.

Bryan,
I will attempt to get some detailed pictures for you tomorrow when I am back in the shop. That will basically answer most of your questions.

I do not sell on EBay, although many of our vendors do sell our product line. We do not sell the individual components like the grommet or the metal piece for the plug where it plugs into the switch. You can cheat the system and just buy a rubber plug and make your own grommet.

The reason that we do not sell the individual components is the cost in developing and stocking the parts, hope that you understand. We purchase the correct size hose and then have to cut the grooves into the hose. We have seen some original hoses that were not grooved. Then we will laser stripe them, cut to length, install the grommet and plug for the switch and tape as the originals. It is pretty labor extensive as each kit is basically hand cut and put together.

Much of the hoses are the same profiles as the 68-69 Charger headlight hoses and the vacuum hoses for the air conditioning systems, just different lengths.

As for as the three metal clips as posted in the Roseville listing, we do not include them. I do not know if they were used on all applications. If I had one to evaluate, it may be something that we already have or have access to. We do sell the nylon clips to hold the hoses to the hood as an individual kit if need be.

Otherwise, we have a limited supply of the inside toggle switch, the bezels. We also supply the various vendors the correct heavy rubber gasket and hardware kits. There is a link to those pieces under our listing in the Forum Sponsor section.

Drop me a private message and we will attempt to answer any specific questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Richard

Bryan,
I will attempt to get some detailed pictures for you tomorrow when I am back in the shop. That will basically answer most of your questions.

I do not sell on EBay, although many of our vendors do sell our product line. We do not sell the individual components like the grommet or the metal piece for the plug where it plugs into the switch. You can cheat the system and just buy a rubber plug and make your own grommet.

The reason that we do not sell the individual components is the cost in developing and stocking the parts, hope that you understand. We purchase the correct size hose and then have to cut the grooves into the hose. We have seen some original hoses that were not grooved. Then we will laser stripe them, cut to length, install the grommet and plug for the switch and tape as the originals. It is pretty labor extensive as each kit is basically hand cut and put together.

Much of the hoses are the same profiles as the 68-69 Charger headlight hoses and the vacuum hoses for the air conditioning systems, just different lengths.

As for as the three metal clips as posted in the Roseville listing, we do not include them. I do not know if they were used on all applications. If I had one to evaluate, it may be something that we already have or have access to. We do sell the nylon clips to hold the hoses to the hood as an individual kit if need be.

Otherwise, we have a limited supply of the inside toggle switch, the bezels. We also supply the various vendors the correct heavy rubber gasket and hardware kits. There is a link to those pieces under our listing in the Forum Sponsor section.

Drop me a private message and we will attempt to answer any specific questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Richard

Thanks Richard

I know it's an old thread but rather than begin a new one...
I stumbled across a grommet that might work for anyone not looking for 100% originality but still needing the firewall to be sealed. I've found a three hole grommet that will fit a 3/4" hole, although the three holes themselves are 5mm and might require a bit of reaming with a drill. I haven't gone out to my car to see how close of a fit the hoses are.

Kiwigtx original picture:
upload_2021-2-9_14-21-50-jpeg.jpg

Replacement grommet:
1676611407789.png
1676611214329.jpeg

Sorry for the dusty picture, that's what happens when you zoom in.

Anyway, these are cheap replacement parts sold as fuel tank grommets for small gas engines. It cost me $8 but there were five of them in the pack. The listing says the size is 1" but that's the larger outside diameter, the inner part that fits the hole is 3/4".
www.amazon.ca/dp/B07X9MCYC8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Auto Transport Service
Back