• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Air Grabber hose grommet

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
Discussion thread for 70 Air Grabber firewall hose grommet for 3 hoses. Looking for info.

I don’t know if reproduced but if they are let me know.

Or if you have an original looking work around would appreciate info.

Looks like this installed

Thanks to @kiwigtx for the pictures.

upload_2021-2-9_14-21-50.jpeg

upload_2021-2-9_14-22-29.jpeg

I believe that is molded on the hoses... That is how my 72 AG car is. Comes with the new hose kit.

s-l500.jpg

I moved this thread to the project forum.

My 70 RR is an original N96 car but was missing all the AG parts. I’m piecing it back together.

Anyone have experience with this kit and can comment of fit and correct appearance compared to original?

On my '70 it is a separate grommet, the three hoses slide through the holes.

Thanks,

Where does the round part, that the hoses go though, that looks like a grommet, fit into?

Somewhere under the dash to protect the hoses?

On my '70 it is a separate grommet, the three hoses slide through the holes.
It maybe. In any case that fire wall grommet is "not serviceable" according to the parts book at least for a 71 N-96 b-body as it shows it but only on the hoses. 70 could be different or mine may have just been stuck on the hoses or sealed to the hoses who knows been decades. I just bought a new kit like the one shown. Can't comment on it as the car is sitting on a lift with the motor and trans under the car..

This kit from Rosewell has more parts, and is wrapped ... close to original? Colored stripes appear much wider than others and colors seem more vibrant.

https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/air-grabber-hose-kit-70-road-runner_gtx/

upload_2021-2-10_10-17-12.jpeg

Ad says includes ‘ firewall fittings ‘

From ad:

Restore the functionality of the fresh air system by removing leaky cracked, dry-rotted or missing vacuum hoses and installing this brand new factory-style replacement vacuum hose set. These hoses are vital to the function of your Fresh Air hood and a re a critical part of any N96 hood rebuild.

Commonly referred to as the “Air Grabber” hood for Plymouth models, N96-option Fresh Air hoods utilized a vacuum operated actuator system to open and close the fresh air doors. The hoses often deterio rated over time, causing the system to lose vacuum and be inoperable. With this convenient replacement hose sets, you can repair your system with correct looking hoses for a like-original appearance.

Set includes:
Correctly grooved and color-coded hoses
Molded switch plug
Firewall fittings
retainer clips

Applications:1970 GTX , 1970 Road Runner

@kiwigtx

@hsorman

Where does the round part, that the hoses go though, that looks like a grommet, fit into?
That grommet simply fits into a hole (7/8" I think) and the hoses just lay across the top of th heater box.
BTW...that's a sweet looking car in this photo....

upload_2021-2-9_14-21-50-jpeg.jpg

:poke:

:lol:

That grommet simply fits into a hole (7/8" I think) and the hoses just lay across the top of th heater box.
BTW...that's a sweet looking car in this photo....

View attachment 1067274

:poke:

:lol:

I was wondering if it was your car haha. Do you still have it? Thought I saw a comment about selling it a while back.

If I recall the firewall hole is 3/4. I guess I can make do with a 3/4 grommet and modify to work until one is reproduced.

How close does each set match your originals?

I notice your original hose stripes are thinner looking than the Roseville set.

I was wondering if it was your car haha. Do you still have it? Thought I saw a comment about selling it a while back.

So is the thing that looks the firewall grommet on the hose sets fits into a hole under the dash? If I got an extra wonder if it would/could work for fire wall?

How close does each set match your originals?
I sold the car nearly 3 years ago now. :(

I suppose you could work a grommet as a temporary fix....I thought I had a spare one with the hoses cut off, but damned if I could find it.

Repro's have always looked a bit thicker on the painted lines...at least the ones I have seen they are.

the Roseville are the thickest and most vibrant I’ve seen.

But so far they are the only ones that include the 3 black metal clamps and that ‘ molded switch plug ‘.

Are they on your car?

I sold the car nearly 3 years ago now. :(

I suppose you could work a grommet as a temporary fix....I thought I had a spare one with the hoses cut off, but damned if I could find it.

Thanks for looking. If you find it hit me up !

But so far they are the only ones that include the 3 black metal clamps and that bracket. Are they on your car?
The hose brackets were long gone off my car...but that single other bracket is what keeps the 'termination' end of the hose set attached to the back of the switch. It has two small tangs that hook around the switch body to lock it in place.
What I don't see in that kit is the solenoid which is located near the switch.

I have to run now...BBL. :)

The hose brackets were long gone off my car...but that single other bracket is what keeps the 'termination' end of the hose set attached to the back of the switch. It has two small tangs that hook around the switch body to lock it in place.
What I don't see in that kit is the solenoid which is located near the switch.

I have to run now...BBL. :)

I’ve seen several locations selling the solenoid with the green wire separately. Don’t know if all same supplier, or if one is better than the others. Anyone recommend one over another?

The vacuum hose kits that we reproduce feature very distinct and correct colors for the various colors used on the different applications. We use a laser print head that allows the lines to be crisp and at the same time not look heavy, much more factory correct in appearance. The molded switch plug is installed as well which is not supplied with the imported kits. The grommet is installed after the lines are "colored". The picture that @QuickBpBp posted is one of our kits.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back