• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 auto console help

fatecaptured

Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 coronet 440 w/ 440,727. I have installed a oem shifter from ebay (drilled hole and welded center braket). I also purchased a wiring harness of ebay as well as console, top plate, door,hinge, lights. The only thing thats not going to be done is the column swap. Do to the rare nature of the part and lack of funds. So my wiring harness i got doesnt have a reverse backup light conector nor did the shifter come with the reverse back up switch. Also the locking mechanism( that locks the steering wheel when in park and keeps the car from being started in gear) i left off, because i couldn't find a rod to conect it to the floor shifter linkage. My question is has anyone done this swap and am i going about this the right way? Do i need the locking mechanism? Do i need the reverse back up harness and switch? Why do some console harnesses come with out this plug? And how do i get the column to stay free to turn with out locking up? I can use all the help i can get.

Also if any one has pictures of the swap that would help too.

OK. Done some searching and I guess that mechanism is just thevolumn shift linkage. Wonder why the factory manual shows them tied together with a a rod? As far as the wiring: I believe someone sold me a harness for a Manila trans. Anyone have a 70 column with ps. for a auto on the floor?

Wow I'm on my own with this thread I guess. My key board on my phone helps my spelling greatly,lol. Manila?? Manual is what its suposed to say, oh well thanks for all the feed back. Your welcome

Well I wouldn't want you to think no one is reading your thread. I have. Just don't have an answer for ya.

Its alright, just frustrating. I hope i can get this pile rollin down the road soon. 10 years is too long....

I read the locking linkage is present on the floor shift, that set up uses a metal cable.

I saw the underside of a 1970 Cuda and the rod you are reffering to is the one that bolts to a bracket on the underside. The rod ties into the trans.

I have no idea why there is a console harness w/o the backup lamp switch, but all of those harnesses are for automatics.

So there's a cable connected from the floor shifter to the column? Is the column lock worth this hassel? I have a daughter and I want this ride to be safe for us to enjoy. She's a curious child and I fear her trying to start the thing while its in gear and the think taken off. But I guess that's what the neutral safty switch is for.

I understand safety and that is the purpose of the lock. I have a '69 without it ( just cause it wasn't standard. I'm not 100% sure about the cable theory, it was something I read in a resto book. Neutral safety switches, hmm I thought that those were only on 4-speeds but I may be wrong. Is your mount still carbureted? If so your daughter can't start it unless she messes with the accelerator. Anyhow the column lock is totally up to you. I personally would go for it because I'm a concours type guy. The best bet is to go find a '70 with a factory floor shift and talk with the owner and take lots of pictures. Or go to a mopar salvage yard and you may have to do the column swap.

the closest mopar salvage yard is Mopar city in Oregon IL. I've already talked to them on the phone. I guess a 1970 column is a one off piece. 67-69 had the igntion key on the dash, in 70 it was on the column. So many people have done this swap already and its left the resoures about empty. They said they don't have one or know where to get one either. I've combed ebay. I haven't seen one on there either. Well one made for a floor shifter and power steering. As far as finding some one with an original 1970 coronet with a floor shifted torque flight... Its not so easy these days..

Ted Stephens in Alabama: Stephens Performance or Dr. Mopar in Texas. I don't know much about '70 Coronets as far as dashes go I can really do Chargers well.

Thanks. I left Ted an email yesterday. He responded later with a price on one. Are they a good place to deal with? Don't know much about them.
With the near thought of having all the correct components to do the swap, it makes me eager to swap to a rally dash. I have the 120 square dash. I know the frames different. Along with pretty much everything else.

I've never dealed with them but I have heard alot of positive comments about experiences people have had. I believe you have an oil pressure light not an actual gauge, if so then that needs a new wiring harness for the engine.

I am converting a 70 RoadRunner from 3 on the column to the console bucket seat combination. I just found a complete 70 steering column w/wheel on ebay with the door locks for 350.00 and 30 dollars shipping. They are out there. I had found some bucket seats but I think I missed out on them due to them not wanting to ship them. I will be putting my column in next week. Stay in touch.

Cool thanks sublime . I got lucky on the buckets. Already installed when I bought the car. Needs new covers though. Are recovering our or just installing as is

My mama always told me "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

so I won't say anything

Doc is a good guy. I'll say that

In '70, the neutral safety switch is on the trans...it's a 3 prong style.

In '70, for the console shift auto cars, there is a rod (not a cable) that goes to the bottom of the column inside the engine compartment from the trans linkage so when you put the car in park, you can remove the ignition key. It also serves a purpose so you cannot turn the key to "lock" while car is in any gear but park.

Auto Transport Service
Back