• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 B-Body Disc Brake Splash Shield

69bfan

FBBO Vendor
FBBO Sponsor
Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
On the 70 to 72 B and E-Body equipped disc brake cars, can anyone tell me the finish on the disc brake splash shields as they were installed on the assembly line? Thanks for the input!

A9525638-B41B-40A8-8113-A11CBF5B919D.jpeg

This is from the Plymouth handbook for 68-70 B bodies. Luckily it gives a little bit of info for later years as well. I would think that Dodge is probably the same so hopefully someone else might be able to clarify that for you.
Glenn:thumbsup:

Glenn,
Thanks for the information. The reason that I am asking is that the current reproductions are all offered in a stamped steel configuration other than a light coating of oil to combat flash rusting.

The David Wise books are a great source of information, but on my early production 68 Road Runner, the shields were a galvanized finish. Things could have changed over the production runs and thus trying to determine the correct finish on the pieces for the 70 to 72 style.

Thanks,
Richard

I thought they were all galvanized
at least the 72 ones I have are..
I have also seen a pair of nos Ebody ones and they were galvanized ..

I researched this for a couple of hours when doing the disc brakes on my 1970 and all information pointed toward galvanized.
Also I was given a used set that I soaked in evaporust which when removed appeared to have had some type of metal coating on them. Just my opinion as I am not a restoration expert. I ended up using new ones that came with a kit.

8F6406CA-DB89-4EA6-9565-DB8EC3781925.jpeg

Last edited:
I've kinda wondered about this for a while because it seems like I've had both over the years.

There were distinct differences based on the year model coverage. From my viewpoint, many of the 66 to 69 style had the galvanized plating. I have limited knowledge on the details of the 70 to 72 style and thus the point of my question.

If I were to take a guess, I would think that the painted ones may have been over the counter pieces or possibly later issues like 72 models. That is why you have to know the history of many of these pieces to correctly document these differences.

Again, thanks for all of the input into this research and we will continue to look into it as more information is dug up.

Best I can do Richard... my '70's on my SuperBird. Still have the Bower Bearings in the hubs and rotors had never been turned until I did so in September.
superbirdcleanup20182019 139.JPG

Last edited:
Wayne,
Thanks for the picture that you posted. That appears that the ones installed on your Bird was in fact a semi flat black finish. That is the kind of information that supports the different finishes and in this case that they were painted as installed from the factory.

Much appreciated,
Richard

Auto Transport Service
Back