• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front disc brake conversion kits

What’s the best front disc brake conversion kit on a 68-70 b body? I’m upgrading from drums.
Do you intend on changing spindles too? If wanting to re-use your existing drum spindles I believe wilwood has kits to bolt onto those.

if changing spindles which is what I would do I recommend using the 73’ and Up A-body style spindles with the Mopar single piston floating calipers etc. this way you can pretty much order parts anywhere in the future when required. Many online kits are modelled after this style, like mbm and other. those will all be made in China.

if you can source OEM spindles and parts that would good, but nowadays that’s hard to do.

If going OEM 73 and up A-body style you will also need the following ad many kits don't Included these items:

-disc brake master cylinder (has larger reservoir to handle the disc’s)
-disc brake proportioning valve

if you're not married to originality I might also recommend using an aluminum 2 post master cylinder upgrade then you’ll never have to deal with unsightly rust issues down the road or paint coming off from fluid touching it.

- and which ever brake kit you choose

What do you mean exactly by "best?" Price? Stopping power? Factory setup? Aftermarket? Daily driving ? Weekend auto cross? Wheel fit selection ?
Here is a standard go to from long ago, using all Mopar factory parts.

Big thing to know FIRST.... Do you have 14" wheels, and do you plan to keep them? Lots of disc kits require 15" wheels to clear calipers. But there is a kit from Doctor Diff that allows retaining the 14" wheels. I used it on my 64 Plymouth.

Ill 2nd the pirate jack kits for both the front conversion kits and their 4 wheel kits. Well organized and complete kits. As mentioned above your wheel size and wheel manufacturer for 15" is important especially if your considering a 4 wheel disc conversion as the rear caliper will rub the high spots of the inside weld on most after market/ repro steel 15" wheels. Easily corrected by knocking down the high spots a bit. That said, none of the 3 sets of factory 15" wheels, steel, ralley and magnums, rubbed on the rear kits. Just the repro wheels.

Do you intend on changing spindles too? If wanting to re-use your existing drum spindles I believe wilwood has kits to bolt onto those.

if changing spindles which is what I would do I recommend using the 73’ and Up A-body style spindles with the Mopar single piston floating calipers etc. this way you can pretty much order parts anywhere in the future when required. Many online kits are modelled after this style, like mbm and other. those will all be made in China.

if you can source OEM spindles and parts that would good, but nowadays that’s hard to do.

If going OEM 73 and up A-body style you will also need the following ad many kits don't Included these items:

-disc brake master cylinder (has larger reservoir to handle the disc’s)
-disc brake proportioning valve

if you're not married to originality I might also recommend using an aluminum 2 post master cylinder upgrade then you’ll never have to deal with unsightly rust issues down the road or paint coming off from fluid touching it.

- and which ever brake kit you choose
Yes I’m changing the spindles. I want vacuum power disc brakes in the front too. So any kit I would buy would then have to be for an A body?

Yes I’m changing the spindles. I want vacuum power disc brakes in the front too. So any kit I would buy would then have to be for an A body?
The car is just going to be a driver on 15x7 torque thrusts. I’m only doing the front for now. I plan on making the car faster and upgrading to stop and handle better as a pro-touring car. Full auto-cross is way to racecar on a 116inch wheel base unless I go ballistic and cut the car up to move the small block back and try to shorten the wheelbase. But that’s extreme. I’ll try that later on in life.

Last edited:
Just get this. EMAIL this vendor, name is Cass. He’ll get back to you in short order. Tell him what you’re doing and he’ll get you everything you need. One stop shop, descent parts.

10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)

plus you’ll need a master cylinder and a proportioning valve on to; of it all . He has that stuff too.

Just get this. EMAIL this vendor, name is Cass. He’ll get back to you in short order. Tell him what you’re doing and he’ll get you everything you need. One stop shop, descent parts.

10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)

plus you’ll need a master cylinder and a proportioning valve on to; of it all . He has that stuff too.
Thanks

Reading thru the comments here. Im looking for a complete bolt on disc brake conversion "all in one" kit. Brake booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve, spindles etc. Currently using 15 inch wheels and will probably keep that. From what I see this is my only option for a all in one kit out there unless anyone else has seen something? DoctorDiff does not seem to have a complete kit like this.

Car had a power drum brake set up so hoping will not have to cut or modify the firewall.

1966-70 B Body Charger Power Disc Brake Kit OE Style Booster & Master Cylinder

Reading thru the comments here. Im looking for a complete bolt on disc brake conversion "all in one" kit. Brake booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve, spindles etc. Currently using 15 inch wheels and will probably keep that. From what I see this is my only option for a all in one kit out there unless anyone else has seen something? DoctorDiff does not seem to have a complete kit like this.

Car had a power drum brake set up so hoping will not have to cut or modify the firewall.

I went with piratejack... bolted right up (i didn't do power though) but no complaints...

This has been my experience with a 69 GTX that started out with power drums. In going to front discs I used a kit from Dr. Diff that included spindles, pads, calipers, and a proportioning valve. I have also needed to add smaller rear wheel cylinders, a dual diaphragm booster, and an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear circuit. Hopefully I am done, waiting for the salt to get off the roads to try it out. Good luck.

This has been my experience with a 69 GTX that started out with power drums. In going to front discs I used a kit from Dr. Diff that included spindles, pads, calipers, and a proportioning valve. I have also needed to add smaller rear wheel cylinders, a dual diaphragm booster, and an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear circuit. Hopefully I am done, waiting for the salt to get off the roads to try it out. Good luck.
Oh, and a 11/8” master cylinder.

Ok thanks....you are saying a 1-1/8 inch bore master cylinder? I assume if I am buying this as a complete kit I dot have to ask or have options with the master cylinder bore sizing....

Auto Transport Service
Back