• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 B Body Steering Column Question

MoparHonda

Local time
12:40 PM
Reaction score
Please take a look at the attached photo; What is the purpose of the flange on the steering column? It's silver in this picture.

I'm assuming it's part of the shift linkage on a column shift automatic car. But what purpose would it serve on a four speed manual car and why would a four speed manual car have it?

IMG_9642.JPG

It’s for the reverse lockout. When new 1970 manual trans cars had to be put it in reverse to remove the key. This linkage got tossed and this is arm is what remains. If that arm moves then you won’t be able to turn the key back to lock and remove it.

Thank you, R413 and PlymHemi.

I suppose those linkage parts are next to impossible to find. I would imagine that linkage got tossed on most of these cars whenever the transmission was serviced or rebuilt. Most owners probably found the interlock to be annoying.

I'll see if Brewer's Performance has the linkage.

They do Reproduce them, if you are interested in an Original set up i have one.

Yes if you have some trouble removing your key sometime, just give the coller on the column a spin and it'll come right out

Auto Transport Service
Back