• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 Bee going back to the road after 40 years!

Joe Palmer

Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, I have compiled the photos for our current restoration. Come along for this journey from salvage yard in CA to restoration in OH and finally on the streets in GA.

Aug 1996 - Found this highly optioned FC7, 383 4 speed Bee in a salvage yard in the high desert of CA.

Oct 1996 - Car was shipped to southern OH for evaluation and restoration.

May 2000 - Car was mostly cosmetically restored. New interior, dash sent out and restored, steering wheel sent out and restored, 383 HP engine rebuilt, My dad is no painter, but he tried....he was unhappy with his single stage acrylic enamel paint job and put the car in storage to work on other projects.

From May 2000- June 2020 we pulled the car out every couple years, started it up and pushed it back in the corner.

June 2020 - I made a deal with my dad to purchase the car for my wife (she has been in love with this thing since she first saw it in 2002).

Aug 2020 - Car arrives in GA. After initial assessment we drained and replaced all fluids. Gave the engine a full tune up with electronic ignition conversion. New Holley carb. As well as new magnum 500's and BFG's. We quickly discovered the paint was multi colored and fading so we sent it off to get it redone. Our painter striped off the old paint to reveal very little body work and all original panels. We will need to go through the front suspension, brakes, and get some miles on her. CA plates removed were from 1980, my wife is technically the second owner....

The photo's are split with the car in the salvage yard as found on the bottom and the 2000 restoration on the top.

Enjoy

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Last edited:
Arriving in GA and initial assessment....It looked good and straight, but paint was 3 or 4 different shades of purple.

7.1.JPG 7.JPG 8.1.JPG 8.2.jpg 8.3.JPG 8.4.JPG 9.JPEG 10.JPEG 17.JPG

Off to paint...

I will update when she returns and we'll dig into the mechanicals...Thanks

20.JPEG 21.JPEG 22.1.JPEG 22.3.JPEG 23.JPEG 24.JPEG 28.JPEG

Cool car. She looks happy in it!

Sa-weeet!

Every time I see one of these, I pine for my 70 FY1/black 383/727/3.55 AC bumblebee car.

Great story, if your wife has a southern drawl I love her already! Have more than 1 male cousin(&families) living in Atlanta area, also one family living in Savannah. Keep this thread going please.

Any woman willing to drive a big block 4speed mopar is a keeper! Cool story on the Bee...glad it has shifted to a party in the family that will use it.

Very cool story....talk about hitting the lottery of life....Way to go!
I have a Georgia/ California story surrounding the B bodies for 1970....although not near as interesting as your story, it reminded me of my uncles 1970 Coronet R/T, always the family member with a cool new MoPar. He has stayed in So Cal after arriving back from Vietnam, worked at a winery in Modesto. He bought an 1970 F7 green R/T, that I still remember to this day. People behaved goofy when they saw the car, it was hilarious! Of coarse, there were MoPar geeks, (like myself), fascinated with the car, wasn’t much excitement in Sleepy Town NW Georgia!
Anyway, I dig the purple with white trim and vinyl top! Awesome car!

Last edited:
Joe, nice Bee your wife has. Here's a pic of my wife's also. Exterior FC7 C stripe ,Interior is black vinyl with bench seat 440 cu in. 4 speed. Only live south of you in St. Marys, Ga. Maybe get the two together one day.
20190406_115527.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta ask one silly questions how/ why was the bee in a bone yard? It looks like it was all there. Is that a numbers matching car too? It’s my favorite color on a bee , it’s very cool you saved it and that your wife likes it makes it a no brainer! Your a lucky guy!

High desert cars don't rust.

They get sent to pasture for mechanical issues or if the soft parts deteriorate to the point of not doing the job.

Beautiful car, and the story is awesome. I see many happy years with the car, and your wife.

Gotta ask one silly questions how/ why was the bee in a bone yard? It looks like it was all there. Is that a numbers matching car too? It’s my favorite color on a bee , it’s very cool you saved it and that your wife likes it makes it a no brainer! Your a lucky guy!
No idea why it was in there, but it lived in that small high desert town its whole life until I snagged it.It is all #s matching with all original sheet metal.

Rear suspension detailed and trunk area done. I installed the chrome wheel the car came in from the salvage yard with as my spare

38 (2).JPG 39.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back