• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 Charger - can I install new after market (Temp/Oil/and maybe Tach gauge) while keeping my existing instrument gauges?

matchek

Local time
6:13 PM
Reaction score
Hi fortunately, it appears my dash instrument gauges are still working. My temperature gauge seems to be working but I had a sporadic episode were it redlined and came back and just looking into backup alternatives. My mechanic suggested installing Bosch gauges on the floor panel because there are better calibrated and more reliable. He thought, was not sure, that if did so, that he would have to disconnect the stock gauges. I would be open to have new back-up gauges. Can you have both or have to choose one over the other?

This also goes for another car were I have just dash warning lights that are currently not working correctly (I think there is lose wire somewhere where they are alway grounded). He suggested installing the Bosch gauges in that and disconnecting the warning lights. I would like to have the warning lights fixed and the Bosch gauges installed if possible.

Red lined and came back normal.... I assume you still have the OE voltage regulator in the dash circuit board, that are prone to sticking in their old age. Replace it with a RTE unit and carry on.

As for aftermarket gauges, sure you can run both.

Red lined and came back normal.... I assume you still have the OE voltage regulator in the dash circuit board, that are prone to sticking in their old age. Replace it with a RTE unit and carry on.

As for aftermarket gauges, sure you can run both.
Yeah, the temp gauge went from 190 to 250 while driving at highway speeds after a 35 mile drive and it is very well possible that the car did overheat and had nothing to do with the temperature gauge, as after the car cooled down the car's temp runs back at 190 at idle. I bought the car 2 years ago and never flushed the cooling system but I also did not drive it much due to brake problem which is now fixed. After inspection the radiator tubes don't look great. I also verified the temp with a thermometer gun afterwards. I am in the process of replacing the radiator as it looks to be corroded. But this episode made others think about the reliability of the original gauges. Hard to believe these are now 53 years old. As far as having duplicate gauges, do you just tap of the same circuit and run wires inside the cabin or is it more complicated?

That’s what my 66 Satellite was doing when the IVR was failing - gages cycling to redline and back. I tried using a solid state replacement off eBay but it had problems too. The RT-E IVR is a nice piece of equipment and has been working flawlessly.

Yes you can. The oil sending unit is on top of the engine block in the back by the fire wall. You could set up a tee to run the current warning light and then a compression fitting for the tube that comes with the new gauges. The tach connects to the coil and the temp sending unit above the water pump.

That’s what my 66 Satellite was doing when the IVR was failing - gages cycling to redline and back. I tried using a solid state replacement off eBay but it had problems too. The RT-E IVR is a nice piece of equipment and has been working flawlessly.
By the way, when I say redline and back. I mean while I was driving , the needle went from the 11 AM position to the redline and stayed there it like 5 minutes while driving 60 mph. It was not until the next day after the car cooled down that the thermostat is running at the 11 AM position again what is the IVR? Thanks!

Sure !! Another routine job we used to do back in the day, install gauges: Sun, Stewart-Warner, VDO, etc. A tach on the dash or steering column, gauges on a pod below the radio.

IVR - instrument voltage regulator. Sorry for the acronym - got lazy typing. On my car, while driving, the instruments would read normal at first but as everything warmed up they would suddenly go all the way to the right and peg (gas and temp - no dash tach). After the car would cool down they would start out OK for a bit and the peg over to the right. The instrument voltage regulator was freezing up and no longer cycling to keep the voltage down for the instruments. Eventually it will damage them if not corrected.

IVR - instrument voltage regulator. Sorry for the acronym - got lazy typing. On my car, while driving, the instruments would read normal at first but as everything warmed up they would suddenly go all the way to the right and peg (gas and temp - no dash tach). After the car would cool down they would start out OK for a bit and the peg over to the right. The instrument voltage regulator was freezing up and no longer cycling to keep the voltage down for the instruments. Eventually it will damage them if not corrected.
And here I thought it was Intra Venous Resuscitator ... I'll have
1684683077748.jpeg
in mine, please.

Sure !! Another routine job we used to do back in the day, install gauges: Sun, Stewart-Warner, VDO, etc. A tach on the dash or steering column, gauges on a pod below the radio.
Yeah....we did that because nobody was restoring gauges back then.
In my opinion, it looks cheap. I did it years ago and would do it on a beater car but not a Charger. Come on, man....spend the money and either get your gauges restored or switch to a Dakota Digital setup.

DD RTX.jpg

DD HDX.jpg

DD VHX.jpg

DD panel 4.jpg

DD panel 6.jpg

Yeah....we did that because nobody was restoring gauges back then.
In my opinion, it looks cheap. I did it years ago and would do it on a beater car but not a Charger. Come on, man....spend the money and either get your gauges restored or switch to a Dakota Digital setup.

View attachment 1468319

View attachment 1468320

View attachment 1468321

View attachment 1468322

View attachment 1468323
Thanks Kern this are all real nice. I really like the first one as it looks most like the original. Although if I did a lot of night driving, the last one is really cool too. I know eventually I'll have to upgrade.

Auto Transport Service
Back