• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Charger Grille Help

70383ChargerSE

Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
I am putting the grille on my 70 Charger back together and had a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. I installed the hideaway light motor and when I turn my lights on and off it activates in reverse. ON=CLOSE AND OFF=ON. Any suggestions?

Also, I noticed a tab in my grille but I am not sure what is supposed to go there? (See photo) thanks to all in advance.

20201205_204543.jpg 20201205_204556.jpg 20201205_204508.jpg 20201205_204523.jpg

Check the relay under the dash,it sounds like you have the wires swapped opposite to where they need to be. As far as those tabs on top of the grille surround go,I think the factory had planned to put screws there to support it,and decided not to,so nothing goes there. Many people use those tabs,and make their own brackets to support this area of the surround,because they tend to sag down in that area.

Thank you Chargervert. I will check the wires. Thank you for explaining the background on the tabs on the grille. I think I will make up some brackets to support the grille because I see how the grille sags in those areas.

If you have a new HL wire harness it is likely wired backwords for the HL motor. This is a common issue with the repop harness. I had to cut the connector on harness and re-wire to make mine correct. To check...just use a couple jumper wires between the two connectors.

I also have a nice fix for the sag over top of the headlight doors. Nothing was attached to that area of the upper grille from the factory that you questioned above. This small bracket cannot be seen from above. Send me a PM if you wish to share more details.

By the way...it looks like your grille to fender brace is installed incorrectly.

Joe

IMG_76671a.jpg IMG_76691a.jpg IMG_76701a.jpg IMG_76711a.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a new HL wire harness it is likely wired backwords for the HL motor. This is a common issue with the repop harness. I had to cut the connector on harness and re-wire to make mine correct. To check...just use a couple jumper wires between the two connectors.

I also have a nice fix for the sag over top of the headlight doors. Nothing was attached to that area of the upper grille from the factory that you questioned above. This small bracket cannot be seen from above. Send me a PM if you wish to share more details.

By the way...it looks like your grille to fender brace is installed incorrectly.

Joe

View attachment 1038545 View attachment 1038546 View attachment 1038547 View attachment 1038548

Does anyone know if this was ever fixed with the forward light harness? The light harness I have was purchased in 2015 from Year One.

Does anyone know if this was ever fixed with the forward light harness? The light harness I have was purchased in 2015 from Year One.

I cannot tell you if it has been corrected. My harness was purchased around same time as yours. You will know if you have the problem as soon as you hook it up. The door swill work opposite of what they are supposed to. Headlights on and doors will close. Headlights off and doors will open.

I have done the "finish the grille engineering" on a buddy's car.
Wish I had pictures.. we did it so you couldn't tell it wasn't done by chrysler.

Yep been there & done that 12 years ago, I spliced the new year one headlight harness about 3 inches from the motor ,reversed the wires & solved the problem.
NOS or good used oem ,is always the best way to go. IMO

I cannot tell you if it has been corrected. My harness was purchased around same time as yours. You will know if you have the problem as soon as you hook it up. The door swill work opposite of what they are supposed to. Headlights on and doors will close. Headlights off and doors will open.
Thank you. I'm still sorting out the electrical on this car. The front harness was hacked up and the dash harness had an a minor electrical fire. I'm not certain about the headlight motor or relay for the car at the moment but, that's great to know what happens with the wires reversed.

Yep been there & done that 12 years ago, I spliced the new year one headlight harness about 3 inches from the motor ,reversed the wires & solved the problem.
NOS or good used oem ,is always the best way to go. IMO
That's very true but, one would think it would of been resolved early in the production run of these harnesses considering the number of them sold and their market base.

Auto Transport Service
Back