• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Charger headlight door trouble

Coronet guy

Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
Today I installed a new set of LED headlights in my 70 charger R/T, all of the lights fit and worked as they should. The problem is that when I go to shut the lights off when it’s in the low beam setting, the headlight doors won’t close upon shutting off. When the lights are on high beams, the doors will close and everything works fine.When it comes to turning them on in either low / high position, the doors will open normally. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The headlight door relay, located below the instrument panel in the dash, can be tricky.

70_headlight_relay.jpg

I installed relays in my headlight system and found that trace amounts of voltage was leaking from the stock headlight door (Concealed lamp door) relay and messing with the headlight door motor operation.
In 2013, a buddy tried to help me change a few things in the wiring and we encountered the same thing.
I found that the fix was to abandon the factory relay and wire in a Bosch 5 pin relay.

70 relay Bosch.JPG

70 relay 3.jpg

Zero problems since.

Mine both cars still works flawlessly off of the factory relay. In fact, they have always seem to work to good. They flip up and slam closed so fast it almost sounds like they would break something. Never been an issue though, or broke anything.

Thank you for your help with this, I finally found out what the problem was, I needed a couple of 6ohm resistors on the low beam lights. The doors worked perfectly on the high beams, but when switched on to low beams, that’s when things started to act up. I did some digging and found that the low beams weren’t drawing enough power to make the relay circuit work properly, so I installed the resistors and everything is working perfectly fine now.

Score!
It is great when we finally figure out the problem.

I was going to say it could be a draw issue...I have HID lows and LED highs and mine work fine...but I also have a late-model relay so that would have been zero help.

Glad you got it sorted! (and 6PKRTSE, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks his front end is going to fall off when those doors SLAM shut!)

Thank you for your help with this, I finally found out what the problem was, I needed a couple of 6ohm resistors on the low beam lights. The doors worked perfectly on the high beams, but when switched on to low beams, that’s when things started to act up. I did some digging and found that the low beams weren’t drawing enough power to make the relay circuit work properly, so I installed the resistors and everything is working perfectly fine now.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you figure that out?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you figure that out?
Agreed, my doors don't move at all, is there a troubleshooting post somewhere, on how to check voltage and make sure the motor is good? The lights come on but the doors don't open.

Check for power at your HL motor with light switch on. Two wire connector at motor. One lead is for open and one lead is for close. If you want to test the motor you can do so with a jumper wire direct from battery. Disconnect two wire connector and put power to each side. The most likely cause is a bad HL motor relay...it is mounted under LH side of dash on a 70 Charger.
Agreed, my doors don't move at all, is there a troubleshooting post somewhere, on how to check voltage and make sure the motor is good? The lights come on but the doors don't open.

Check for power at your HL motor with light switch on. Two wire connector at motor. One lead is for open and one lead is for close. If you want to test the motor you can do so with a jumper wire direct from battery. Disconnect two wire connector and put power to each side. The most likely cause is a bad HL motor relay...it is mounted under LH side of dash on a 70 Charger.
Thanks. I now confirmed the motor does work, so I'll check out the relay next.

Auto Transport Service
Back