• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 GTX 440 4bbl 4sp a/c?

30 years ago, most folks probably did not realize you couldn't get all three of those options.

A $100 "investment" for a partially phony car with a rare option combo could have made the difference in a $10,000 sale and a $20,000 sale.

that tag looks pretty old to me, does anyone think repopping a phony tag was worth the hassle 30 or so years ago? I bought my GTX, running and driving, for 900 bucks back then

30 years ago, most folks probably did not realize you couldn't get all three of those options.

A $100 "investment" for a partially phony car with a rare option combo could have made the difference in a $10,000 sale and a $20,000 sale.

are you saying these cars were worth 10K - 20K in the 80s?

Last edited:
Late 80's to early 90's factory high option 440 car in #2 condition-

Sure.

my tag is 50 years old and looks better than that...... and his car looks pretty rough when he started, so I doubt it was a #2 30 years ago..... don't get me wrong, anything is possible; but I think making a phony tag that long ago is a stretch......and to have a phony tag look that "aged" is a bigger stretch IMO..... barring any "bends" or "punches" that do not exist, that tag looks pretty genuine to me

that being said; I respect the opinions of 69coronetrt..... the dude is a guru

Last edited:
are there not VIN or partial VINs on the trans and rear? would be nice to see the welds holding the 4 speed hump to the floor. also the Z bar bracket on the frame rail...... these would determine if it is a real 4 speed car..... if so, the next step would be to explain the firewall

also, didn't the 440 4sp cars come with torque box's?

Last edited:
my tag is 50 years old and looks better than that...... and his car looks pretty rough when he started, so I doubt it was a #2 30 years ago..... don't get me wrong, anything is possible; but I think making a phony tag that long ago is a stretch......and to have a phony tag look that "aged" is a bigger stretch IMO..... barring any "bends" or "punches" that do not exist, that tag looks pretty genuine to me

that being said; I respect the opinions of 69coronetrt..... the dude is a guru

Whenever you have a unicorn, it’s best to have more documentation than the easiest thing to fake.

Regardless of how it looks, the tag does not display characteristics you find on other cars built at the same plant at about the same time.

383 4 speed with a/c was a combination that could be ordered. They’re not particularly common but they are out there.

I agree. Probably only a dozen or so of the 68 Charger 383 4-speeds with A/C factory were ever made. (I've seen/heard of about 10 in my searching).

Dan

Can someone read the tag or buildsheet? When i zoom on my phone it just blurs. I would like to see them better.
The radiator support numbers and dash numbers are different for a start.
It has the same rear leaf springs for both sides.

The radiator support numbers and dash numbers are different for a start.
It has the same rear leaf springs for both sides.

in 68 the body numbers match the fender tag, not the VIN, and I think only the 440 cars came with the odd ball leaf springs

Auto Transport Service
Back