• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 GTX air grabber switch location

HemiMark

Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone show me the exact location of the airgrabber switch on a 70 GTX?

thanks in advance

Mark

rr air grabber switch.jpg

Here is a quick shot of another angle from my dash prior to restoration.
20111123_1091.jpg

Here it is with the bezel pulled off. I am not sure if a non-AG dash has this hole, but I would guess it does. That should help you determine its exact location
IMG_0839.jpg

The PO put the air grabber hood on my car and I finished off the rest of it but was afraid to cut the dash so have my switch mounted on a bracket under the dash. I am taking my dash out this winter and if I find the hole in the metal, I'll cross my fingers and drill the dash knee panel. Thanks!!!

Follow up to Gregs70

The PO put the air grabber hood on my car and I finished off the rest of it but was afraid to cut the dash so have my switch mounted on a bracket under the dash. I am taking my dash out this winter and if I find the hole in the metal, I'll cross my fingers and drill the dash knee panel. Thanks!!!

Here is an easy way to install your switch. First remove the ash tray and take the 4 screws out that hold the ash tray bracket. Once this is done you can get your hand behind the dash and using a short phillips screw driver you can remove the 6 screws holding the dash pad section. You also need to remove the 4 screws holding the under column trim plate. Now that the dash pad has been removed you will find an oblong hole in the dash, but because your vehicle was not original from the factory for the air grabber the 1 1/8 hole and screw holes may not be there.
Check the back side of the dash before drilling to see if any of the wiring harness will be contacted by the bit. Get yourself a metal drill bit, like a unibite and mark the metal dash about 3/4 inch to the left of the oblong hole and drill away.
On the right side of the oblong hole inside the dash there should be a vacuum solenoid (this a only an electric magnetic relay) It will have one wire which should be connected to a power source that turns on and off at the key. It is self grounded to the dash by 2 screws. You seem to have the hoses run so I wont go into that. Good luck!

Just buy a dash trim plate with the air grabber holes, they are normally worth much less than one with out it, its a shame to cut up an original piece. I seen with no reverse light and the air grabber hole on ebay for $55, yours if in good shape is worth double that...

Auto Transport Service
Back