• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 GTX - I am trying to make a decision.

crahill39

Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
I have been searching for another 69 - 70 Body since I am finally in a position to afford one. I found a 70 Numbers matching engine/transmission GTX that has all the panels replaced, mounted on a Schwartz Performance Chassis, Engine and transmission are built, but would still need to be primed, blocked, and painted then put back together. I like this car, but I am trying to make sure I don't go down the path I went on my 71 GTX. Looking for advice on this one.

Thanks!

Not sure the point of matching #'s motor and trans and the car is all chopped up and no more torsion bars, probably a Ford rearend I suppose?

Why did they do that to a numbers correct car? GTXs aren’t cheap to cut up according to their site our Mopars chassis is inferior to the GM flexible flier design but they build it better. I’d walk by it, call me closed minded or what ever you choose .. but you inquired.

Last edited:
Not sure the point of matching #'s motor and trans and the car is all chopped up and no more torsion bars, probably a Ford rearend I suppose?

Moser rear - this would be a resto mod at this point and I agree that it was the wrong car to start with.

So i believe you’re saying they took a unit body car and made it like a Chevrolet product from the 60s because they say unit body is poor design..Then mounted it on their frame with a 9” and corvette brakes etc.. I’d pass but thats because I think it ruined the GTX... Just needs a LS and 4L80e with a GM tilt column.. Why did they do that to a numbers correct car? GTXs aren’t cheap to cut up.

I don't know what the reasoning was to begin with, but it's already done. I appreciate the feed back, and I think I just need to pass on it.

Unlike a stock (or near stock) GTX, the numbers matching aspect adds little value to this particular car due to the nature of the build. It's nice to have, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

Honestly I toned it down , sorry for being a grump. I feel it is a slippery slope in all honesty. It depends on what you want but if you want a Mopar keep it Mopar in my opinion.

Honestly I toned it down , sorry for being a grump. I feel it is a slippery slope in all honesty. It depends on what you want but if you want a Mopar keep it Mopar in my opinion.
No problem, I kind of knew this was a can of worms subject. I appreciate the honest and spirited feedback :)

Do they have pics of car before the restomods? Would be nice to know what they started with.

From description sounds like there is not much original car left. Definitely need to see it in person to check the work quality.

Know of a Charger that is from SLC Utah and is suffering major rust problem But only underneath as it was driven in winter and they use salt there. Have also seen cars that have sat/sunk on dirt and rust took over.

Any how for this much damage it would be easier and stiffer to use new full frame rather than patch it with stamped metal.

After latest auction there seems to be a market for RestoMods.

Aftermarket chassis?
I'd pass like it was 4th and long while 5 points down with 12 seconds left in the game.

I have been searching for another 69 - 70 Body since I am finally in a position to afford one. I found a 70 Numbers matching engine/transmission GTX that has all the panels replaced, mounted on a Schwartz Performance Chassis, Engine and transmission are built, but would still need to be primed, blocked, and painted then put back together. I like this car, but I am trying to make sure I don't go down the path I went on my 71 GTX. Looking for advice on this one.

Thanks!

I'll sell you my RS23V0A****** (look at the photo garage).....its almost numbers matching with a 4.10 Dana 60, 4 speed, A34 Trac pac, rebuilt engine, TOR RED, etc......and the only thing you'll need to do is write the big check and probably wash and wax it........no muss no fuss.....(it's 04-01-22)
BOB RENTON

What path is that?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf8drMNENTuFWkbek6nDC2clxFW3ayD2FAog&usqp=CAU.jpg

I don’t know what your budget is - but after your description - for my money I’d go for something more put together. There are cars out there. But I guess you know that as you’ve been looking.

for my money I’d go for something more put together.
Agreed, After doing a few resto mods then selling them and loosing my ***,look for something done or needs very little.
Sounds like when all said and done the GTX you are looking at will cost a bundle to finish.
Which ever you choose, nice number match or a resto mod you will be far ahead.

I don’t know what your budget is - but after your description - for my money I’d go for something more put together. There are cars out there. But I guess you know that as you’ve been looking.

I am not rich that is for sure. I do get a kick out of people who respond to my WTB posting for mild projects to daily drivers and then get photos of cars completely disassembled, a ton of rust, and missing all the documentation. If I could buy my 71 back I would, but that ship has sailed unfortunately.

I am not rich that is for sure. I do get a kick out of people who respond to my WTB posting for mild projects to daily drivers and then get photos of cars completely disassembled, a ton of rust, and missing all the documentation. If I could buy my 71 back I would, but that ship has sailed unfortunately.
I see your location in Jacksonville. Did you own a 71 V code air grabber GTX down there by any chance?

Auto Transport Service
Back