• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Hemi Superbird Restoration..................errr.....scratch that........

you can get a second living as a plumber dude. rock on.
Thanks, I think. I did all the plumbing on my new building, including sweating all the copper. Of course I built the rest of the building myself as well.

I hear you. I do the stick, mig, tig, torch, glue thing too. never seem to get away. usually pays good though.

Thanks for the update. Nice using the truck floor as a work bench. LOL

Headers look nice and clean, does even lengths not matter since your running a Turbo? I can't wait to see this one come together, I'll be paying attention to you and the Procharger guys for future reference. I've kicked the idea around before and plumbing everywhere under the hood was always the drawback for Turbos for me but seeing what your doing might come out pretty clean and have me thinking again. Just a thought for you on the radiator clearance, if I where you I'd move it in front of the radiator support right now while your doing fab work because even in stock form these Chargers are cramped for space and it's caused me some headaches with the lack of space for electric fans and pulleys. Looking great

You mean the radiator I assume? I have given that considerable thought. I'm thinking about reworking the entire radiator yoke and I could move it forward some then. The only consideration is how the superbird hood dips right after the radiator yoke. Might create more new issues than it solves.

Possibly, I just know it's been a big problem for me and wish I would have moved it.

Moving the rad is something I expect I'll have to deal with too when the procharger goes in! For as much room as there is under those hoods sometimes it just isn't enough! haha

Awesome project brother! I admire your tenacity & abilities ! Most would have let this unit die, I salute you !

Thanks ironman. 747 and Goon, the only thing getting in the way of the radiator is the lower hot side exhaust elbow that turns out on each side feeding the turbos. If I can rework the headers I can lower that elbow to go under the rad. The other option would be to notch the lower corners of the rad to allow room for the bends or install a 3" shorter radiator.

In the big picture I guess it's just another small obstacle but it definitely looks as though you have everything thought through far in advance. Keep doin what you're doin because this thing is too cool!

If any of you have read my budget build 440 thread, you know that not much has happened to this. I finished the 440 and I've got a 408 build going as well. I'll dyno that and post on it when done. What has happened is that DonC emailed and the rear window plug is done and ready to ship. I'll have it in a week or so. I have been waiting on parts for the 408 so I took a night to do a little work on the Superbird. The rear quarter extension were on but didn't fit quite right. It seams that the rear of the quarters are different than my other roadrunner that has it's original sheet metal. The extensions angled when tightened rather than set straight so that they form a straight line across the trunk lid. Here's a few shots of the driver's side which is the worst and the passenger side, which was closer. I welded the passenger side up but I'm going to slice the quarter panel to fix the driver's side and weld up the gap with a sliver patch in it. What a giant PAIN!

- - - Updated - - -

E7342353-260F-4E91-B1AA-9497CC7B0C1E_zps3l5kmnih.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see how that could have happened from my installation of the quarter panel, but who knows. Anyway, for the rear of the car to look right it has to be fixed. You can see what I did here on the passenger side.
E31DAAE3-8894-4B71-A0CB-E11DD3047616_zpsgkeh0q9h.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The top portion is almost done and it won't look too bad but will need some filler.
52274B79-7425-4ECC-88B1-1374EDC8FE68_zpsdd3cbhq5.jpg

The side is under way and won't take too much more to finish up
5FB2124C-093A-4EB9-8EC6-139090E8DA8E_zpsiwjbreri.jpg

CED6580D-3011-48E0-9FE9-B0DC31DE410F_zpse0mktujr.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if this is going forward or backwards lol

- - - Updated - - -

CAB05F04-B80D-4105-A581-940AAF948B3A_zpsdzzupn3c.jpg

outstanding work hemirunner...cant wait for the next installment...

Those little slivers are the most tedious kinds of repairs. I had to do quite a bit of that to get my door and fender seams reasonably straight but I was repairing the old metal. Kind of disappointing to have to do this kind of thing to make new parts fit cleanly. Looks like it is coming out right though. Nice work.

Really cool of you to post all of this. Man, that oil pan brings back memories of my own aluminum/tig experiences. I remember having to heat the aluminum very hot when I was welding. And these Quarter ext repairs are great help to me, I've run into a similar problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back