• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Hemi Superbird Restoration..................errr.....scratch that........

Cal-trac split monos showed up along with the Funkhouser Race cars rear traction bar setup. Now I just need to decide between a Dana 60 and the Fab9 I built as I have both.
89972916-405E-401D-846B-1202C5559023.jpeg

Cal-trac split monos showed up along with the Funkhouser Race cars rear traction bar setup. Now I just need to decide between a Dana 60 and the Fab9 I built as I have both. View attachment 1464841
So dumb question: I assume a "fab9" is a Ford based 9" rear?

I would think a stock Dana 60 is a bit stronger, but also heavier, than a Ford 9". Likely neither of these you have are/will be stock due to the power you will have. Anyway, do you mind briefly mentioning the pros and cons of each? (At least to educate me a bit...)

The traction bars look a lot like my Assassin bars. What is the difference please?
Also,
I have the Dana 60 that came in my V-code 4 speed car, so I am not switching it out,
BUT
I did choose the 9" Ford designed Quick Performance rear for the 65 GTO, with a number of upgrades, and the main thing I like about it (beyond the strength) is the ability to have a pumpkin (gear assembly) that can be quickly swapped in.

A Dana 60 takes less HP to operate than a 8 3/4 or 9 inch.

So dumb question: I assume a "fab9" is a Ford based 9" rear?

I would think a stock Dana 60 is a bit stronger, but also heavier, than a Ford 9". Likely neither of these you have are/will be stock due to the power you will have. Anyway, do you mind briefly mentioning the pros and cons of each? (At least to educate me a bit...)
In factory form, The Dana 60 is much stronger and takes less power to drive. In aftermarket form, the 9” is king in everything from parts availability and aftermarket support to shear power capacity. The weight difference is negligible once you beef up a 9” and in my power range, I feel both would be fine although I would give the nudge to the 9” since it would be an all aftermarket center section and gear setup. The dana60 gives me a much better advantage in the “bang for the buck” category in my case since the center section alone is $2125 for the 9” and I have everything besides the gear set and axles for the Dana 60. You can’t go wrong with either one in my opinion.

The traction bars look a lot like my Assassin bars. What is the difference please?
Also,
I have the Dana 60 that came in my V-code 4 speed car, so I am not switching it out,
BUT
I did choose the 9" Ford designed Quick Performance rear for the 65 GTO, with a number of upgrades, and the main thing I like about it (beyond the strength) is the ability to have a pumpkin (gear assembly) that can be quickly swapped in.
Functionally, they both do the same thing with a slightly different method. Another case of “more than one way to skin a cat”. I chose these for the adjustability over my caltracs and the adjustable shock mounts on them.

Functionally, they both do the same thing with a slightly different method. Another case of “more than one way to skin a cat”. I chose these for the adjustability over my caltracs and the adjustable shock mounts on them.
Well, thanks. The additional flexibility of adjustment points and the different way the Assassin bars "interact" with the leaf spring was the difference for my choice, and the Assassin came in the middle of installed height for ground clearance between the full size CalTracs and the CalTracs "low profile" model.
Let me post a couple of pix that may help me see the difference between the Assassin and the Funkhouser or someone may point it out.
adjustable shock mounts on them
The arrow points to the multiple shock mount holes if I understand correctly?
Screenshot_20230514_120701_Gallery.jpg

There appears to be some shock mounting position flexibility on the Assassin:
Screenshot_20230514_124125_Chrome.jpg

The following post was in a long thread back in mid 2020 and was part of my brand debate in deciding which traction bars to go with. I definitely like the Funkhouser bars, but I am not changing mine at this point. I think you made a great choice.
Assassin or Caltracs traction bars? Everything else but DA Viking shocks will be Calvert.

Well, thanks. The additional flexibility of adjustment points and the different way the Assassin bars "interact" with the leaf spring was the difference for my choice, and the Assassin came in the middle of installed height for ground clearance between the full size CalTracs and the CalTracs "low profile" model.
Let me post a couple of pix that may help me see the difference between the Assassin and the Funkhouser or someone may point it out.

The arrow points to the multiple shock mount holes if I understand correctly?
View attachment 1464897
There appears to be some shock mounting position flexibility on the Assassin:
View attachment 1464921
The following post was in a long thread back in mid 2020 and was part of my brand debate in deciding which traction bars to go with. I definitely like the Funkhouser bars, but I am not changing mine at this point. I think you made a great choice.
Assassin or Caltracs traction bars? Everything else but DA Viking shocks will be Calvert.
Yes, the arrow illustrates the shock mounts. My car will be low and I want that adjustment as my top mount is fixed. I’ll be running a fairly long show as the radial cars extend in the rear. They’re all good products from great people but I picked what worked for me. There is no one absolute best product for all applications. It’s definitely specific to each car the “best” solution is most likely different for each application.

Yes, the arrow illustrates the shock mounts. My car will be low and I want that adjustment as my top mount is fixed. I’ll be running a fairly long show as the radial cars extend in the rear. They’re all good products from great people but I picked what worked for me. There is no one absolute best product for all applications. It’s definitely specific to each car the “best” solution is most likely different for each application.
Hey, the reality is that since I've had my entire frame, suspension, and drivetrain beefed up and tricked out, in part because I was already in need of traction aids, an improved front and rear suspension due to worn parts like my old leaf springs, and in preparation for the 572 that is still creeping forward towards being built, the SAD reality is that I haven't been down the race track ONE TIME since all this great stuff has been installed, and I've needed a re-do on the front suspension alignment for over a YEAR, to the point where what pathetically little bit of driving I've done has my front tires worn out, one has belts showing.
At least I am close to getting the alignment done, now having to borrow a set of rear tires and wheels for the alignment machine lamps to be able to mount. I will get new front tires in the meantime, and I'll make every effort to get it to the track. My best friend and Mopar brother just got a turnkey 70 Duster 340, and it's a 10½-11 second race built car, another friend is in the low 9s in his mid 200X Corvette, another has a BB Nova, another guy I know has a 440 Dart, and so on.
I at least want to flog my 440 6bbl at least ONE more track day to play with all the go faster goodies I've had installed, get some perspective on how much better it does, get familiar with how to adjust the traction bars, front and rear Viking shocks, HitMaster launch control, and so on...and HAVE FUN with my friends doing something I love to do!!
THEN when the 572 goes in, although everything will have to be readjusted, and l'll have new challenges, at least I'll have an idea how everything works, and have fun doing it!
It is mentally and spiritually harmful to work all the time and not have time to enjoy at least a little bit of what time I have left.

Working on a matching Superbird trailer and in need of parts of a RH quarter panel. Not as many people parting out these cars like there was a decade or two ago.

171102BF-346B-413E-9DFC-1E4C7601664D.jpeg

6BA50783-872C-441E-8F65-587A2793203E.jpeg

D1E828C0-B2E6-4833-A70C-9392B7DD1553.jpeg

54D003F1-C719-4065-8C2B-663F879C5239.jpeg

Will you be racing with the trailer attached? Ha ... Dang you come up with more good ideas than anybody I've ever seen! Bravo Zulu!

Will you be racing with the trailer attached? Ha ... Dang you come up with more good ideas than anybody I've ever seen! Bravo Zulu!
I will be doing massive burnouts with the trailer attached but definitely not racing lol. It’s mainly for convenience on Dragweek. And I thought it would be cooler than just a plain little trailer like everyone else pulls.

Auto Transport Service
Back