• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 K frame in a 65???

Relax360

Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a 65 Satellite with a HemI in it. I have read you can move the engine back with a 70 K frame. I was wondering if anyone done this mod?

Also has anyone taken out the heater box and flattened the firewall on a 62-65?

Pictures would be great

Thanks Brad

Thinking of buying a 65 Satellite with a HemI in it. I have read you can move the engine back with a 70 K frame. I was wondering if anyone done this mod?

Pictures would be great

Thanks Brad
You can keep your 65 hemi k-member and use 66 motor mount brackets. That will put the engine about an inch back.

I've read that racers used 66 and later k members as mentioned for the 1" set back. I think they had to tweak the firewall. I put a hemi in a 65 Dodge Coronet, I traced the motor mounts from a 66 k member and made a set. Cut the 318 mounts off put the engine in with the headers and crossram on the motor. Positioned the engine to where I wanted it crossram 1/4" from firewall and tacked the mounts. Removed the engine and k member and finish welding mounts. I can't remember where I found spec's for engine placement in engine compartment but that was after I had engine in. I measured the center of 318 to frame rail before I removed it for someplace to start. Can't add a picture of how close crossram at the moment. If you would like one my camera will return from Croatia in 8/9 days. If you want I can measure engine placement.

1965 Dodge 015.JPG 1965 Dodge 011.JPG

Thanks for the help guys. Good to know I have an option of using the 65 K frame. Any Pictures are great Fran whenever you can measure the Hemi car I am getting has a Cross Ram but I have an Arlen 4 bbl intake that I might swap for

Just was down garage to finish putting diff in my 66 Satellite. Measured engine position, these measurements are +/- half inch Drivers side to center crank 17" passenger side 15" to center of crank. These measurements are from the flat part of frame rail not from the fold part. The engine oil pan rail on block is 2" from top of k frame. I don't think I can get valve cover off without pushing shock stud down into mount. I may have to jack motor up a little also. If it didn't have crossram no problem. I would plan for crossram even if you don't use it now. The old I shoulda. Oh the crossram is 3/8" appox. from firewall.

Have you thought about inverting the p/s shock tower? That was done on the 65 Hemi cars!

To old to do any mods now. Thought they cut the front corner of shock tower where A arm bolts. Saw one on ebay a few years ago big $$$. Mechanic's are mostly done paint and body work are the drag. Project has dragged on and on ........ Bad knees have been replaced but have a bad ankle, that needs whoopee pills to walk on for any length of time. Then I pay the next day.

Pictures would be great

Thanks Brad

My car traded hands a few times, so no idea who did this. But someone who built my '65 yes, cut and smoothed the firewall.

008a74_b1bc8c29f0ba431e91e35e3455925472.jpg

008a74_9af42532cc51482db316e6223ed852f8.jpg

Nice work! Looks roomy and very clean. The way the wiring was moved, well done.

My 64 plymouth has the later k frame. Sets the motor trans back about 2 inches. Need to cut and weld trans mount. Trans fit is tight. Flex plate shield and trans blanket will be a problem. Removing pass side valve cover required flattening firewall where that drain sticks out. No need to alter shock tower. I run a tunnel ram.

Did you do flatten the firewall like the pictures above or just modify where needed?

Sorry guys, these are wedge K-members. Reading comprehension is my friend and my friend was away yesterday! Lol

The stock firewall will bend rearward easily. Jerry Stein taught me. Bottle jack on the K-frame, 2x4 on the firewall and a piece of 2x4 between the two. Start pumping the jack, it moves like butter. It will kink the pass side slightly but easily repairible. I cut the tunnel as well.
Doug

P17.jpg B88.jpg B91.jpg

Don't attempt this swap without doing what DVW did to his trans tunnel. There's no way around that. He did it right.

I attempted this swap but backed out. I used the later K-member but cut the motor mount perches off and rewelded them in the location of the stock K-member. This allowed me to use the improved idler arm and sway bar setups, but kept the motor in the stock location. There's more information here.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/1970-k-member-in-early-b.62182/page-2

Thanks for the advice looks like I might get the car. I was planning on reshaping the tunnel for a future 5 speed conversion. DVW how much did you widen the tunnel?

Auto Transport Service
Back