• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 R/T #Match Tasteful Mods or Not?

Put the matching numbers engine and trans away,use other components to build what you want. If you want a manual transmission in the car, save the piece that you cut out of the floor, so it could be put back,and only tack the floor hump in,so if you want to go back to stock at a later time you can. I am going to put a four speed in my matching numbers 70 Charger R / T V code car, but I have the pieces to put it back to original condition if I choose to do so. There are things about the 70 Charger that you will really get to like,the interior is the best of the three model years of the second generation Charger.
20190728_172010.jpg
20190930_151717.jpg
20190930_151654.jpg
20200111_160553.jpg

Last edited:
You also have the option of offering to trade the matching numbers 70 Charger R / T, for a decent 69 Charger that you can modify the hell out of. Maybe you can get one that the metal work is already done, so you can get right on to building the maxed out Charger that you really want to build. If no one bites,then go forward with your plan with the car you have.

I think that every one of the posts that say " don't cut up a numbers matching car" should be accompanied by a cash offer to buy it. The same goes for people who look your car over and then proceed to tell you how you 'should' have done it. There used to be a saying, "different strokes for different folks". Good words to live by.
To the OP, if you listen to everyone who has an opinion on what to do with your car, there will never be a consensus, thus no-one will be happy. As has been said on this site many times, "Build it like you want it". Anything else will never make you happy...

I think that every one of the posts that say " don't cut up a numbers matching car" should be accompanied by a cash offer to buy it. The same goes for people who look your car over and then proceed to tell you how you 'should' have done it. There used to be a saying, "different strokes for different folks". Good words to live by.
To the OP, if you listen to everyone who has an opinion on what to do with your car, there will never be a consensus, thus no-one will be happy. As has been said on this site many times, "Build it like you want it". Anything else will never make you happy...
OK, then everyone that says cut it up should do it for him as a birthday present! How stupid does this slant sound from either side? VERY! LOL

How about bring it to Carlisle to the 70 Charger reunion with a for sale sign?? You live 1/2 hour from there.

You should do it as you wish. But I think I read you refered to the charger as a Investment. Heck we never know when these car's won't be worth anything. It's a hobby. Do it because you want to. I know none of us want to lose money, but that's not why we re-store them.

It's a Charger, they are pulling them out of the Ground and restoring them.. If you are using a car as an investment, sell it now, cars are to enjoy, not sit and worry if it is making you money or not!! Drive it and SMILE!!

I'm kinda surprised you never found anything at Carlisle unless they all had Barrett Jackson-itis, so if it can wait for July and nothing is there,do as you please with what you HAVE!!

I get the dilemma...it's yours you can do as you please obviously...but a matching numbers top banana r/t 440 with a fender tag...that is a very desirable high demand car that has got to be worth coin to someone. Personally I think it needs to be brought back more year 1 or year 2. I would only change things that can be reversible to protect you investment.
Gutted race cars sell like crap...no return on investment, I know had... a v code 70 cuda that someone turned into a race car. Killed the value of it....a full cage, back halfed will kill the value of our muscle cars....maybe a 6 point and a mini tub and some frame connectors if tastefully done. Back half and a full cage for your 1000hp...go on racing junk and they can be bought for less then half you can build one. ....unless you are skilled enough to show it at sema....and those guys have more money in them typically then they are worth 2.

Last edited:
I love the 70 no doubt. I would never of asked about modifying it if I didn't appreciate what it is. When I bought it the seller wasn't even sure it was # matching he just thought it might be. I back halved my 66 pontiac for 33x18.5 and re caged it but I would not be doing that to the charger, it would just be moved to the frame rail. Was considering stiffening the charger by building a subframe below the body. I just need some meat to hold the road and some steamrollers in the back is just what I like. If anyone noticed from the pics i posted of the charger earlier.. someone cut a sun roof into the car as well and I would have take that crap out so it has already been diced. This is my first classic mopar and by investment, I needed to know the market. The mopar crowd is nothing like the bowtie crowd. Someone puts a twin turbo LS in 69 camaro and its getting a solid return. 68-70 B bodies are my favorite cars ever made. I just never could afford to build one out until now. If the engine doesn't scare me, I am not gonna build it. 6 Turbos were used in my last 3 engines. I didn't intend to fire anyone up. I am assuming some would still disagree if I did it to a 69 R/T even if it was a roller depending on how much of a purist they are. Which I totally respect, I am just not there yet. I want my car to hurt feelings, but on the highway not at a car meet.
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0307.JPG

70 Chargers are one of my favorites. It is your car do whatever you want with it that makes you happy. The next guy will change whatever he doesn't like to your changes anyway.

Auto Transport Service
Back