• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Road Runner AM 8 track stereo research

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score

Anyone here have an original car or knowledge of same?

If you have or had a 70 what are all the components of the R22 option? Maybe 68-9 cars were the same, IDK but please specify.

I’m especially interested in any speaker controls and any pictures of dash mounted controls for a fader or left right balance. Don’t know what the controls were or what the looked like, or where mounted.

My R22 car has an oval cutout in the dash to left of the radio, in the bottom side of the upper dash frame, just behind the dash pad.

My car has the 3 speaker dash and R22 option on the tag. All parts were removed before I bought it years ago. Just piecing it back together.

Much thanks

Crossover box on top of glove box cardboard. 3 speakers on top of the dash, one in usual center Place and two added grills on outboard ends of dash.

No other controls unless it has a rear speaker and that switch would be under the dash operated with right hand.

The radio has the balance control on one of the right hand thumb wheels, and tone control on the other.
Left thumb wheels have off/on/volume and the other has tuning.

No other controls unless it has a rear speaker and that switch would be under the dash operated with right hand.

This is the part I’m most interested in Scott. My car has the three speaker front dash, and an ovalish cutout under the dash to the left of the radio, ie drivers side, and I thought all R22 option cars had the rear 2 speakers but could be wrong. If the rear speakers were another option on top of R22, what was it?

Thanks

Anyone have any more details or especially pictures of the dash controls?

R22 is AM 8 track with 3 front speakers only.

R31 would be a rear speaker, Singular. Just one on drivers side. what size is this oval cutout? Doesn’t sound like it’s factory for speaker switch. It would be a small hole like 3/8” or 7/16”

R22 is AM 8 track with 3 front speakers only.

R31 would be a rear speaker, Singular. Just one on drivers side. what size is this oval cutout? Doesn’t sound like it’s factory for speaker switch. It would be a small hole like 3/8” or 7/16”

I’m going off some memory here, will be going to storage soon and will try to refresh my memory. If I can get over to that side of it and take a few pictures.

But from my foggy memory it seemed fact-tree but I could easily be wrong. And like I said I’m piecing it back together, PO stripped all the cool stuff out.

Glad the fender tag and body stampings survived.

Is this the area you’re talking about Bryan?
D1185327-B9FD-4548-8D68-F083AE94367D.jpeg

My rear window defogger switch sits there. The hole for this was fairly similar to what you are describing. During my past research on the am/8track when i was setting it up, you have 3 dash speakers, and a crossover box. The box attaches to the left of the back side of the glovebox inner, or on top. There is an additional small harness that goes from the radio to the box, and then connects back into the speaker harness. Unless you have rear speaker/s nothing else is required. If you do have rear speakers then a fader switch is required. I can’t find any pics for that for a ‘70 though, so i don’t know how or where that sits sorry.

Last edited:

Anyone here have an original car or knowledge of same?

If you have or had a 70 what are all the components of the R22 option? Maybe 68-9 cars were the same, IDK but please specify.

I’m especially interested in any speaker controls and any pictures of dash mounted controls for a fader or left right balance. Don’t know what the controls were or what the looked like, or where mounted.

My R22 car has an oval cutout in the dash to left of the radio, in the bottom side of the upper dash frame, just behind the dash pad.

My car has the 3 speaker dash and R22 option on the tag. All parts were removed before I bought it years ago. Just piecing it back together.

Much thanks
Hey Bryan,
I have a set of components that I never actually fitted to me car in the end....and I still have them. I need to dig them out if you want to hang on for a few days....I bought a switch off a member here a couple of years ago, and I also have the crossover unit.
My GTX had the R22 set-up originally.

Is this the area you’re talking about Bryan?
View attachment 1074721
My rear window defogger switch sits there. The hole for this was fairly similar to what you are describing. During my past research on the am/8track when i was setting it up, you have 3 dash speakers, and a crossover box. The box attaches to the left of the back side of the glovebox inner, or on top. There is an additional small harness that goes from the radio to the box, and then connects back into the speaker harness. Unless you have rear speaker/s nothing else is required. If you do have rear speakers then a fader switch is required. I can’t find any pics for that for a ‘70 though, so i don’t know how or where that sits sorry.

Yeah that’s where my hole is Monroe. Know that I see yours I seem to recall there’s a witness mark the shape of the oval-ish metal bracket as well as the hole. Maybe I’m getting confused from so many cars over the years, but will check mine out soon as I get over there.

I know there’s a hole there.

Thanks !

Hey Bryan,
I have a set of components that I never actually fitted to me car in the end....and I still have them. I need to dig them out if you want to hang on for a few days....I bought a switch off a member here a couple of years ago, and I also have the crossover unit.
My GTX had the R22 set-up originally.

Thanks brother.

Does your switch have any lettering?

FYI that same hole is used for the top up/down on convertibles (which don't have rear window defogger option)

Auto Transport Service
Back