• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 RR Hardtop qtr glass trim

wwheel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:59 PM
Reaction score
I have a '70 RR hardtop and was missing the SS trim between the qtr glass and door glass. This piece actually mounts on the door glass. I bought a L&R trim from a salvage yard last week. As luck would have it, I found the ones that came with the car when the package arrived.

I am not saying the trims that came with the car are correct because the glass and regulators were disassembled when I bought the car. Attached are the two I have. The one that came with the car is slightly longer, but more importantly, has a white plastic spring loaded slider towards the lower edge. The salvage piece doesn't have that or even a provision for the slider and spring. Other than that, they identical. Some profile and same sealing strip.

So the question is which is correct for a '70 RR hardtop. If it is the salvage piece, anybody have an idea what the trim with the slider is for?

Thanks!

hardtop trim 1.jpg

hardtop trim 2.jpg

hardtop trim 3.jpg

I saw an ad for these same trims on ebay and the seller had a set of moldings with the white plastic block and the one set without the plastic block. They were already sold so cannot ask the seller. But he stated both were for a 68-70 B-body hardtop. Was the block a mid year change (improvement)?

So i guess no one can ID the trim with the plastic slider. Looking at how it might work - looks like it prevents the qtr glass from rolling down unless the door glass is down first. I can see no other purpose. Maybe that will jiggle some memories.

Just looked at mine that I have out... same deal both on the glass trim and the rear guide channel. I assume it's an anti rattle system.
20230201_150536.jpg
20230201_150602.jpg

Oh, I think I get it now. When the door glass is rolled down the bottom, the two plastic wedges (one on the rear of the door glass and the other on the rear guide channel) sort of lock together to prevent the glass from rattling. I have not looked at my rear channel to see if it has this. I will look tomorrow. Maybe some improvement for '70? I would be curious if other years had this?

Thanks for the reply!!!!

Right idea, but it's for when the glass is all the way UP. The wedges jam the glass tight in the track.

Got it. The wedge on the lower glass guide must be at the top and the wedge on the door glass trim is at the bottom. Thanks!

I found the lower rear guide channel and as you said - it has the plastic slide block! The problem with one of the door glass trims is that the spring has corroded and no longer with us. The other isn't far behind. I will see about replacing the springs and will use this set.

Thank you so much for replying and you have helped me out more times than I can count. Funny that more don't know about this feature. Not sure when it first appeared.

BTW, even though I am Texan, my wife is from Canada and near Ottawa. Been to Lake of Bays many times.

Ha. Right down the Rideau river. I remember the canal when I visited. Ottawa is a nice city. Why is Smiths Falls named Sin City?

Auto Transport Service
Back