• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 RR Rear Muffler Mounting Bracket Question

soundhd

Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 70 RR (383, auto; dual exhaust).
Just bought two rear muffler hangers (one of the ones that were on the car broke). Old ones were mounted directly to the bolt on the body frame...there was no adapter/hanger bracket there. The new rear muffler mounting brackets when bolted to the same spot really bring the muffler up very high (almost against the body).
Shop manual shows there is some sort of small (not sure what to call it) a mounting bracket that is bolted to the body then the rear muffler is supposed to bolt to that piece. Cannot find one in any of the repo parts catalogs.....can someone post a photo of what this piece looks like so I can try and find one somewhere?

Thanks

PS: anyone know what this piece is called and maybe where it is sold?

Your car should have had one that welded on and then one that bolts on the other side for dual exhaust. I have the one that welds on from the factory for $15 pols the shipping
PM me if interested

I did the search in -A-B-E body section, I'm not used to YearOne I don't buy anything there, I bought one for my 70 Coronet and it looked same as that one from YO.

Thanks for the input..........took some photos and here is what I have done...not sure if it is right.....really did not like the way the wide thin bolt heads were digging into the isolation strip (not sure what to call it) so I made a couple plates to fit behind the bolt heads so they would not dig into and rip the isolation strip.....that's what happened with the one that was on there before......anyway have about maybe 1/2 inch of space between the top of the mufflers (it it closest point) to the bottom of the body....
Let me know if anyone thinks this will not work....

thanks

rearmufflerhangermountpassside2_zpsc43e5b0b.jpg

REARMUFFLERHANGERMOUNTDRIVERSSIDE3_zpscec57d59.jpg

rearmufflerhangermountdiversside2_zps34e9687b.jpg

rearmufflerhangermountdiverside1_zps10cf854b.jpg

Rearmufflerhangermountedatbodymountpassside1_zps4892ccd9.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back