• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE 70 Satellite convertible on ebay- opinions????

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJRR

Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
This just sold on ebay for $12,700. It is exactly like my first one I had in college except mine was a 3 on the tree. I'm not sure if I made a mistake not buying it. It needed work; frame rust, body bubbling=paint, engine overhaul and usual maintenance items, brakes, maybe exhaust, etc.

What do you guys think of the car and price considering what it would need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Convertible...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Hell NO!

Ok, first of all... I'll bet that DetMatt would have looked this puppy up if someone from here was going to buy it, secondly NEVER buy from someone with only one successful bid/sale on ebay. Nuff said I think. Value of car isn't proven out by the pic, nor is that the person actually owns it, nor that it's a clean clear title, or if the title really was available. Ok, call me paranoid, but I've seen too many chumps get hosed (including me) by not making sure everything was as it appears to be. I was working in Michigan for many years, and that economy is so hurting now, I can't imagine buying one from there without seeing it, or having someone I trust look at it first. Just my useless 2 cents.

Forgot to add that now that I'm in Tennessee, there's much more reason to start with a clean southern shell than anything from the salt/snow belt. New Mexico or Arizona cars really rock.

Last edited:
Thor- I hear you on all the downside risks and I agree for the most part. I did exchange multiple emails with the seller and he provided me with many pictures, specific to my questions, so I know he had the car. My real question was about the value, price it sold for and what it would ultimately need to make it a solid driver and not necessarily a show car.

Ok, first of all... I'll bet that DetMatt would have looked this puppy up if someone from here was going to buy it, secondly NEVER buy from someone with only one successful bid/sale on ebay. Nuff said I think. Value of car isn't proven out by the pic, nor is that the person actually owns it, nor that it's a clean clear title, or if the title really was available. Ok, call me paranoid, but I've seen too many chumps get hosed (including me) by not making sure everything was as it appears to be. I was working in Michigan for many years, and that economy is so hurting now, I can't imagine buying one from there without seeing it, or having someone I trust look at it first. Just my useless 2 cents.

Forgot to add that now that I'm in Tennessee, there's much more reason to start with a clean southern shell than anything from the salt/snow belt. New Mexico or Arizona cars really rock.

I don't know - 12 large seems like a pretty OK deal for a 'vert. Those things are very difficult to get a hold of. Yes, if it has really serious frame rail rot then maybe no. Otherwise, I would say score...

A Michigan car, maybe allot of rust underneath. For a deal that good, I would have gone to see it myself, or pay a reputable inspection company to go look it over for me.
Other than that, it looks nice in the pics, but you can roll a turd in sugar, but under that sugar, there is still a turd in there! lol, NOT saying this car is a turd, but you don't know if you don't see it for yourself, or have it inspected.

Last edited:
X2 on hard to find a 70 vert. I owned 2 already. pissed that I sold the second one, but live and learn.

I don't know - 12 large seems like a pretty OK deal for a 'vert. Those things are very difficult to get a hold of. Yes, if it has really serious frame rail rot then maybe no. Otherwise, I would say score...

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with Ebag is that you spend money on a third-party inspector or expenses to fly somewhere to inspect it yourself and then you're out-bid or the car car gets sold out from under you. This one looked nice in the ebay pics, but the seller sent me some specific frame pics which scared me off for the exact reason you said.

A Michigan car, maybe allot of rust underneath. For a deal that good, I would have gone to see it myself, or pay a reputable inspection company to go look it over for me.
Other than that, it looks nice in the pics, but you can roll a turd in sugar, but under that sugar, there is still a turn in there! lol, NOT saying this car is a turd, but you don't know if you don't see it for yourself, or have it inspected.

X2 on hard to find a 70 vert. I owned 2 already. pissed that I sold the second one, but live and learn.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with Ebag is that you spend money on a third-party inspector or expenses to fly somewhere to inspect it yourself and then you're out-bid or the car car gets sold out from under you. This one looked nice in the ebay pics, but the seller sent me some specific frame pics which scared me off for the exact reason you said.

Very true unless you can make an offer to the seller to close the auction but usually they want to ride it out to see how high the bids will go.

Other than the painted radiator which I would have swapped out any way along with the motor, and repainted and cleaned up the engine bay I say it was worth the 12,7 all day. for a few bucks more in clean up costs you got a real nice real 70 Plymouth vert!

No concerns about the frame rust?

Other than the painted radiator which I would have swapped out any way along with the motor, and repainted and cleaned up the engine bay I say it was worth the 12,7 all day. for a few bucks more in clean up costs you got a real nice real 70 Plymouth vert!

Depends on how bad it is, if u can see through it then yes pass on it, but if its surface rust it can be scraped off, all kinds of chem out there now to dissolve, encapsulate eliminate, prevent etc if your were to go look at it and had concerns take a small hammer with you and tap the rails and see for yourself how solid it is, a lot of surface rust gets looked upon as bad but in reality it easily fixed.

Myself id never buy it uness i saw it in person. Looks ok but there could be big money in rust problems. Id like to see what kind of shape the rain gutter for the top is in.

The seller sent me closeup pics of the rusted frame rails. There were obvious holes in it not just surface rust. That's why I passed on it. Just wondering if it was a worthwhile acquisition, considering the scarcity of 70 verts, and the costs of making it right with the frame repairs and who knows what else was hidden.

Depends on how bad it is, if u can see through it then yes pass on it, but if its surface rust it can be scraped off, all kinds of chem out there now to dissolve, encapsulate eliminate, prevent etc if your were to go look at it and had concerns take a small hammer with you and tap the rails and see for yourself how solid it is, a lot of surface rust gets looked upon as bad but in reality it easily fixed.

I would have bought that, I love the 70 model year and a convertible is an added bonus. small sections of frame can be cut out and new ones welded in for very little expense. and a good body tech to do it. if it was a 70 RR vert I would have shot my load and paid 15 for it just to get it in my drive way then hauled it up to GYC for a full resto.

If you're seriously interested PM detmatt and see if he'd be willing to inspect for a fee. He knows his Michigan mopars...period

X2 on the RR vert !!!

I would have bought that, I love the 70 model year and a convertible is an added bonus. small sections of frame can be cut out and new ones welded in for very little expense. and a good body tech to do it. if it was a 70 RR vert I would have shot my load and paid 15 for it just to get it in my drive way then hauled it up to GYC for a full resto.

- - - Updated - - -

It already sold, but good to know. Thanks.

If you're seriously interested PM detmatt and see if he'd be willing to inspect for a fee. He knows his Michigan mopars...period

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back