• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

700r4 transmission swap

67belvedere/225

Local time
1:58 AM
Reaction score
anybody ever do a 700r4 overdrive tranny swap , if so how did you do the electric lock up
of torque , i see there are a few options

why not use the 518 mopar trans, its basically a 727 with overdrive and lock up convertor my buddy put one in his car and he loves it, i put a Gear Vendor in my car and its basically the same cost and i still have the 727 Trans.

why , because i got the wilco kit , for next to nothing and had a spare tranny
so in it goes . how does the 518 bolt on to a slant six ??

Chrysler made the adapter plate for 727 to slant for their trucks in the 60's. It is a bellhousing plate with a spacer for the torque converter. Will work for the 518.

anybody ever do a 700r4 overdrive tranny swap , if so how did you do the electric lock up
of torque , i see there are a few options
I have a 700R4 in my 67 442. It was retro fit with the early hydraulic lock up system. Very early 700's did not have electric lock up. The trans shop did this for the previous owner, all the receipt says is add lock up cost $100. Sorry not to have more info. Knowing it exists may help.

Tim

i have a lock up just there are a couple of ways to make it work , the one from tic seem best
for the price. going shopping at summit again!

there gonna be some cutting of the floor , lucky there room to reinforce the middle cross member

IMG_3199.JPG IMG_3200.JPG IMG_3204.JPG

I used the TCI kit part number 376600. It's a pretty simple harness, pressure switch, and vacuum switch. You will have to add a normally closed brake pedal switch with ignition power, so you lose power when brake is applied. Basically, once it's installed and wired, the pressure switches and vacuum switch lock up the converter when trans pressure switches see 3rd or 4th apply pressure and vacuum is high enough, like cruise speeds. Stomp the gas causing low vacuum or trans downshift to 1st or 2nd, or step on brake, and it loses power and unlocks.

i ordered that kit , i want it to be as hassle free as possible, the vacuum switch is key
i just trimmed the back plate today with a recipro saw , it went actually well and buff it month with belt sander

why not use the 518 mopar trans, its basically a 727 with overdrive and lock up convertor my buddy put one in his car and he loves it, i put a Gear Vendor in my car and its basically the same cost and i still have the 727 Trans.
Is there an option to adapt a 518 to a B engine? it would be a great idea if I can do that

maybe you would need to contact wilcap and ask
I went the 700r4 route cause I got the kit cheap and the transmission

I had an early 90s Silverado. I changed the 700R4 every time I changed the oil it seemed. Lol
Then I switched to Dodge and wished I'd done it sooner.

700R4 should work out for a passenger car though. I think the later versions of this transmission were built a little sturdier. Do you know approximately how old it is?

Sorry guys, I just couldn't resist sharing my story

its just been rebuilt , i have 2500 high stall torque from a corvette in it

I ve been at it alle day to try to get the shifter linkage to work and have a smooth feel , the extra gear is tight fit but now I think I got
will take another day to finalize it.

IMG_3586.JPG IMG_3587.JPG IMG_3588.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back