• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TCI 700r4 in 1966 Charger using stock console shifter

Striker251

Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

TCI and Summit basically told me to google the solution here.

Trying to match my TCI 4x 4speed (700r4) into my 1966 Dodge Charger, 383cu, console shift.

I have no intentions of changing to an aftermarket shifter as I want to keep as stock looking and feeling as possible.

What conversion kit do I need to use to match this 700r4 GM tranny to my 1966 Dodge Charger console shifter??

Thank you!

There is no conversion kit.
The throw of the cable length is different on a chevy.
You'll be reconstructing the shifter assembly.

GM shaft comes out of the case horizontal.
Mopar shaft is of course vertical.
Cut off the GM u shaped lever and replace with one that makes the range of shift shaft and range of shift rod work together to get the full arc for all gears.
The rod from the shifter does not care if it is moving a vertical or horizontal lever.
I do not know of a kit.

You'll need to be crafty on this. I think switching to a cable and no rods will help immensely. Get a shift lever arm, B&M/TCI/LOKAR/HURST etc for the trans to be used. On the shifter, take it apart and look at the shift gate to see if you can file in another notch at the existing 1st gear or maybe you can extend it. See if the indicator up top can be modded to extend it too as the shifter may stop against the existing unit. Remember, you are going from a 3 speed to a 4 now so you need to make room somewhere for that extra gear otherwise you won't have 1st, just 2/3/4. Once you take care of that hurdle you'll need to see if the arm on the shifter that the rod was on can be fitted with a ball/swivel joint for the cable end there, the trans arm should already be set for it. On a 50 F1 I worked on some years ago I put the truck body onto the chassis of an 04 Explorer with a 4.6 and 4spd trans like what you are doing. I used a LOKAR shifter for that. But they didn't make a shifter for that Explorer trans, just the AOD pass car unit. So what I did was use a shifter for a 700r, like you, and figured out a way to make it work. I measured the sweep of the shifter arm from park to first then did the same on the trans arm. I used the existing Explorer arm, measured the sweep at the existing linkage hole. I think, this was from back in 16/17, that I drilled a new hole in the shifter arm when I had the same throw measurement as the trans. Had to make up mounts to hold the cable to the trans and to the bottom of the cab. Worked out fine. On another guys car, 65 Malibu, he had the 700r swap done by someone. Whoever made the swap package supplied a new shift gate for the shifter. But I needed to file the 1st notch some since it actually stopped at 2nd. Once that was done, he had all gears. Here are some hardware pieces that will be of assistance.
Shift Cables
Quick Disconnect Internal Spring Ball Joint 10-32 Female Thread with 1/4-28 Stud (PN#175-403-005Q)
B&M Cable Bracket & Shift Lever Kit - GM
Mounting Brackets
Line Clamps

Contact Shiftworks, they have used to have a Mopar shifter solution for the GM automatic, may have some left??

Auto Transport Service
Back