• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71-72 rear black out decals

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:23 PM
Reaction score
I thought there was an engineering drawing that shows the rear blackout decal. When placing the decal on the rear valence with cutouts, I thought a small portion of the top is folded onto the top portion of the rear valence, right under the bumper. Or just match it up with the top (around tail light) so all edges are lined up? I want to make sure the bottom is lined with the top but just as important, around the cutout. I hope my post makes sense. TIA.

Here is a factory drawing for that - no dimensions tho.
tail panel stripe.jpg

Thanks! I know I saw it somewhere but can't find it. It looks like the one on the valence folds up and is tucked under the bumper?

I see it done both ways: To me it looks better if it's folded over and all black. And I think it's 1971 only, the tail light shape changed in 1972.
1662834551250.png

1662834564067.png

Thanks! My valence and bumper is on right now. Don't know if I'll remove them for one way or leave it and see if I can get the bottom one on with the tips. I wish the guy didn't put the bumper and valence on but.....

Yes sir, never saw them on a 72.

Auto Transport Service
Back