• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71-74 B Body Power Trunk Release?

DS71Cuda

Local time
5:02 AM
Reaction score
Hello For B Bodies Only. I found a 1974 Charger SE and it has a power trunk release mechanism. The release button is mounted on the drivers side door jam. I have never seen this before on the Charger. Is this a standard option? There is no code for it on the fender tag. Any information is appreciated.

TrunkMech1.jpg TrunkMech2.jpg

I had one in my 1971 SSP, I would like to find one to install in my 1971 GTX. They are non existent around here at salvage yards.My button was in the glove box(yellow if I remember)

Not my listing, but just trying to be helpful:

Could you please send the source for the wireless transmitter? Thank you!

Vinny
Not my listing, but just trying to be helpful:

That should work. A transmitter, receiver, and relay.

Somewhat rare option on 71-74.
More common on 75-79.
Extremely common (maybe even standard) on 80's 5th Ave.

Agree- yellow button inside glove box is correct AFAIK.

Neat and easy option to add. Works on almost any year and model.

Also works on hood release, as bolt pattern and striker contact is the same.

My '74 RR had one...but it was wired to a button at the bottom of the dash frame. The night I was driving it home after buying it, I found the button in the dark and pushed it...suddenly the trunk flipped open on the highway. lol

When I had my 74, It had the trunk release and the release button where you described. I just thought the previous owner installed it.

I no longer have the car so can't take pics, sorry

Early ones were vacuum controlled and had a diaphragm like on a heater box door… I have both the electric type and vacuum type somewhere.

If you find the electric one and want to sell it let me know. Please send me a PM.
Ok not interested in selling right now and let’s not make this a for sale or parts wanted ad as that was not my intention…Mods will make the whole post go poof!!

Ok not interested in selling right now and let’s not make this a for sale or parts wanted ad as that was not my intention…Mods will make the whole post go poof!!
Yep.

My solution is more low tech. I just leave a key in the trunk, it’s been there for about 20 years. Occasionally, someone will chase me down to tell me I forgot my key in a trunk, but to the best of my knowledge nobody has ever messed with it…

image.jpg

My solution is more low tech. I just leave a key in the trunk, it’s been there for about 20 years. Occasionally, someone will chase me down to tell me I forgot my key in a trunk, but to the best of my knowledge nobody has ever messed with it…

View attachment 1610037
Put it on a lanyard screwed in somewhere if you are going to leave it like that. I had mine on a lanyard and my car leaves hard enough that the key would fall out upon the launch. Luckily, didn't lose the key due to the lanyard. I take it out when not using it now and also have the power trunk to pop just before the starting line for the crew to turn on the bottles.

Auto Transport Service
Back