• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71-74 Machine Gun Tips

rt-man

Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
So I'm being goaded into putting machine gun tips on the '73 SSP by my engine builder buddy. But what's correct?

Found this: "There were a total of 4 different tips for 71/72 B bodies. The short tip (Plymouth 2dr B body) for non-resonator cars, the long tip (Dodge Charger) for non-resonator cars, the short resonator mounted tip (Plymouth 2dr B body with resonators) and the long resonator mounted tip (Dodge Charger with resonator)."

Anybody know what was used on '73-74? Any survivor car owners out there that can post pics? Thanks!

*Yes, I know they weren't original to my car, so what does it matter. But I like to chase the correct look and throw my money away...

So I'm being goaded into putting machine gun tips on the '73 SSP by my engine builder buddy. But what's correct?

Found this: "There were a total of 4 different tips for 71/72 B bodies. The short tip (Plymouth 2dr B body) for non-resonator cars, the long tip (Dodge Charger) for non-resonator cars, the short resonator mounted tip (Plymouth 2dr B body with resonators) and the long resonator mounted tip (Dodge Charger with resonator)."

Anybody know what was used on '73-74? Any survivor car owners out there that can post pics? Thanks!

*Yes, I know they weren't original to my car, so what does it matter. But I like to chase the correct look and throw my money away...

Then I found this. True?

"There are 2 tips for the 71-74 plymouth

one is short one for 440 6bbl or hemi with resonators

one is medium one 318 340 360 383 400 440 4bbl

the long one is for dodge charger 71-74 with 340 360 440 400 they use a short one for 440 6bbl or hemi and is not same one as plymouth one

they do not come in black or red they come in orange only

they are 4 tips 2 for dodge and 2 tip for plymouths".

These are the correct tips for 73/74 RR they are the long style. Short style were used on 71/72 RR.
IMAG0368.jpg

These tips were optional on the SSP in 73 with the 400 engine only.

I put Pypes Exhaust EVT89 (71-74 B-Body Charger 2.5" Tips) on my 74 Charger. Let me know if you want a picture. I posted a couple in a thread a while back but don't recall which one.

Orange color, correct? Where did you get yours? The tips on Accurate LTD looks like red inserts, but color is funny when not looked at in person.

That 73 SSP 400-4 speed car belongs to a member.

IIRC was listed on ebay for 17.5K

NEAT car for sure.

Orange color, correct? Where did you get yours? The tips on Accurate LTD looks like red inserts, but color is funny when not looked at in person.
Yes, orange is the correct color for 73 and I got mine from YearOne about 4 years ago. There are several vendors I think that carry them now.

I just received mine from Jegs for $129.76 They matched the price which was on amazon. The brand is Pypes EVT89. I didn't open the box yet to see the color however they will be better than the rusty ones I have on the Charger now.

I hope your ones hold the paint... mine burnt in a week. Of course is a driver and I REALLY use my car... well, while was in one piece LOL. Still wondering about a paint or whatever able to hold the heat comong out from my exhauts

Got them from PG Classic. Nice finish. Got them SS polished not chromed due durability. Didn't like the pipe red insert shape. Is not conical and welded into like originals, but "stepped" somekind enlarged on a machine.

there is a cheaper vendor on ebay, but dunno if the same piece than resto shops sells.

not the same vendor I was telling but a new one... selling individually.

2.25" but have them also in 2.5"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Exhau...ash=item543ed2b58d:g:wbkAAOSwB09YLiPE&vxp=mtr

My first set was bought from a vendor called "jiema8" or something like that. Pieces of ****. Just couple of days before get burnt. Red pipe shape was correct but not centered. One day found one tip missed. Dunno if stolen or fallen. Then got the PG ones. Way better than the first ones but still didn't like the red pipe insert shape. I could expect better repros for the OVERPRICE. Hold also better the red finish but still barelly couple fo weeks.

Amazing how the price has dropped on these, mine were $275 for a set, but that was 4 years ago, and there was only one supplier through yearone.

Amazing how the price has dropped on these, mine were $275 for a set, but that was 4 years ago, and there was only one supplier through yearone.
quality considerations too.. I have found ( as I described ) not just one manufacturer at this moment

Last edited:
I think mine are pretty good quality, the paint didn't burn off, but it did get carbon covered.

Not planing on putting them on until spring. 8" of snow here in Wisconsin and the Charger is under cover in the back of the garage. However I hope they last when I do get them put on. Didn't see the eBay ones until now. Wow, low price. I'm sure they are all made in China by the same place anyhow so I guess go with low price vs name brand.

IMG_1515.JPG
I used the medium length tips as pictured above on my '71, but I think that I may have them extended a little too far past the lower edge of the valance.

IMO those tips are way too cool not to be put out where they can be seen.

...Regardless of the factory correct location.

Auto Transport Service
Back