• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 Center Horn

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:48 PM
Reaction score
Hello all:

Anyone have a picture of how the center horn is hooked up inside the column to make the horn work? I know the column is grounded to the dash but I can't remember where the center of the steering wheel ground gets hooked to. I think it's to the screw in the upper right of the picture(?) if my pictures are coordinated right when I up-loaded them.

Thanks!

20140316_170934.jpg 20140316_170940.jpg

Mine is grounded with the pin in your picture at about the 2 o'clock position. The back of the steering wheel rides against it.

If I have this picture rotated right, the #1 or #2 position? Thanks

20140316_170934_LI.jpg

I got it. THANKS!!

Horn doesn't get any kind of ground hook up into the column. All the assembly Is in fact ISOLATED. The ground is at the shaft to be catched by the switch at the wheel and once is applied ground travels throught the turning switch ( tab and wiring ). To get this, Mopar installed a staple attached to the upper bearing rubber insulator to link the ground from housing to the bearing throught tis staple, then to the shaft to reach the steering wheel.

There is nothing on A, B and E bodies to need some extra ground provision into the column. Courtesy light and shifter light on column cars get ground throught the housing. Ign switch too, but these bodies don't need it. Just some C bodies use the housing ground to use it to send a ground signal for some test procedure before start up the engine ( I can't recall right now what test procedure ) and these still use the same locations with no extra care formthe existant grounds, aside the added wire since 67 between column bracket and dash.

Last edited:
Warning....

The type of switch you have there, regarding the pin that rides on the back of the steering wheel. It will eventually get noisy and start shedding metal filings. See pics below of mine that did that. The originals had a small wheel on the pin that rolled on the back of the steering wheel. I ended up having to source an NOS switch.

InkedIMG_0707_LI.jpg IMG_0709.jpg

Warning....

The type of switch you have there, regarding the pin that rides on the back of the steering wheel. It will eventually get noisy and start shedding metal filings. See pics below of mine that did that. The originals had a small wheel on the pin that rolled on the back of the steering wheel. I ended up having to source an NOS switch.

View attachment 1253958 View attachment 1253959

I'll have to look again at mine when I get my car back sometime this month. Maybe I didn't take a picture of everything? Thanks for the info.

Auto Transport Service
Back