• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Base Tail Lights functions

70chall440

Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
I need some help from those of you who have functioning 71 Chargers with the base (non-RT) taillights. I need to know that the functions of the red lenses (one on either side of the backup light). Obviously they illuminate for parking/running, stop and turning but I need to understand which lens does what function/s. I am going to try and build some LED panels to fit under the red lenses (and the backup as well) given what a PIA it is to replace a bulb plus I think LED will be brighter and in my case the left side sockets were toast, severely rusted and unusable. I could replace the sockets with some Dorman replacements (which I already bought) but I thought I'd try my hand at making some LED panels.

So, any help is greatly appreciated. I am attaching a pic of the right side lights.

IMG_8265.jpg

Both are the same

Gray wire is parking… while brown on left tail light assembly and green on right tail light assembly ( or backwards, allways forget that ) are turning/brakes/hazzards.

black, ground.

That is correct - Both Red are the same

With Taillamp ground wire is standard plastic taillights

R/T Or 500 Taillights where pot metal , so grounded thru assembly

1694552143649.jpeg

Need to correct my reply.

black is parking, gray is ground… LOL.

and right and left are reversed… brown right and green left LOL.

Thank you all for your answers/information, it is very helpful. I guess if I had thought it through I would have looked at the FSM wiring diagram.... :BangHead:

Auto Transport Service
Back